Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Latest Avg And Adaware.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Worth it? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

AVG worth it?

1. Yes (8 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. No (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Adaware worth it?

1. Yes (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. No (8 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:45 PM

Hi everyone.

I'm just wondering if AVG 8 and the latest Adaware are worth it. I have seen nothing but problems with these tools especially in removing them.

Your thoughts?

Edited by nigglesnush85, 20 July 2008 - 05:47 PM.

Regards,

Alan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 03:21 AM

AVG 8 - great!

Ad-aware - Not my cup of soup anymore.

I found Ad-aware is a bit of a resource hog and AVG is free and it doesn't make my system lag! On top of that, AVG provides me with Anti-Spyware and Anti-Virus protection (real-time included), at no cost - perfect!

#3 anirban

anirban

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:30 AM

Adware 2008 seems to be quite similar to the earlier versions I donot find a great deal of change but I still feel Lavasoft antispywares are quite reliable.

Avg 8 is a hit with me as well.Along with all the advantages mentioned by David I also find the Search Sheild option quite helpful though I donot know how reliable they are.
All this for free!!! Thats great.
ANIRBAN

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:02 AM

Well the search shield option is alright, but I have heard that it doesn't do it's job aswell as other's in it's league, McAfee Site Advisor for example.

Personally I see Ad-aware as an on-demand scanner and nothing else - It is also how I see SUPERAntiSpyware. But the thing is, I like SUPERAntiSpyware over the two because it's faster and does a great job and there is no hassles regarding advertising like Ad-aware. I have also heard SAS has better detections towards Trojans - this is not to say Ad-aware sucks, I am just someone who prefers SAS over it.

#5 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:05 AM

Hello.

I agree completely with David on the resources AVG uses: The computer that I usually use is quite old with with 516MB ram and I don't feel any weight of AVG running.

I have seen nothing but problems with these tools especially in removing them.

Did you have problems removing AVG? I remember the older versions had some problems, but I think they were fixed in version 8.

With Regards,
The Panda

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:04 AM

I did have major problems removing AVG7. I found AVG7 useless AVG8 has made some improvements but still they are both lacking in my opinion.

Removing adaware looked simple enough, add/remove programs follow the prompts and restart... However on restarting I was confronted with a Blue screen informing me that windows was going to skip autocheck as it couldn't find lsdelete. A trip to the registry solved the problem.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:34 PM

I also think AVG 8.0 is great, it doesn't slow down my computer alot and also it has a function that allows you to do a slow scan so you can do other things while it is running without any lags. AVG 8.0 also has a built in anti-spyware so thats also great.

I used to like adaware as well until I saw SAS. I've heard that SAS has a much bigger database than adaware and also SAS scans are alot faster. Something strange happened when I instaleed spybot and adaware. It seemed to make my startup slower. In addition to that it took a long time to start a program such as MSN or Internet Explorer. Once I removed adaware everything was okay, but then decided to remove Spybot as well.
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users