Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Wont Work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 birdman2314

birdman2314

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:13 PM

Well my brother's computer stopped working a while back and I have had this old junker sitting around my house. I decided to reformat it and everything. Got it working. Now I want to add my brother's harddrive from his broken computer to this one so that I can transfer the files and such. I hooked it up and everything but Windows and BIOS doesn't recognize that it is connected...

What should I do next?

-chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:20 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Let's stick with the BIOS...you are sure that it's properly connected and the jumper setting is correct for how you've connected it?

Does the drive feel slightly warm (on the flat surface) when you turn the system off?

Louis

#3 birdman2314

birdman2314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:31 PM

Jumper settings?????

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:28 PM

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000413.htm This link is outdated and somewhat inaccurate but it covers the basics.

Read EIDE Hard Drive Jumper Settings from http://www.wdc.com/en/library/eide/2579-001037.pdf

A jumper is a small piece of plastic (there can be two jumpers) on the hard drive end, see diagram in the Western Digital link.

On the hard drive itself...is a diagram showing the possible jumper settings.

My advice is to look at the hard drive you already have installed on the system that works. If the jumper on that drive is set to Master and you connect the old hard drive on the same cable...set the jumper on the old drive to reflect Slave. If the jumper on the working system is set to Cable Select/CS, set the jumper on the old hard drive to CS.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users