Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Keeps Restarting

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 xcrunner423

xcrunner423

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:05 PM

While trying to get the internet connection to work these errors came up and the computer keeps shutting down. Whenever it is turned back on it shuts down again within a few minutes. During this time I can not even safe my pictures to a flash drive (it will not allow it to paste or drag files or even to burn them to a cd.) Also the toolbar does not show up.

The error codes are:

Error -2147023174

Error -1073741819

Change the settings for the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service in order to connect to the internet without the computer shutting down

RegisterClassObjects failed: hRes=x 800706BA

NT Authority\ System Remote Procedure Call Service Terminated

I tried to do what this site http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=2048 suggested but when I selected Properties it would not open

I'm typing this on another computer because the internet still, as of the last couple weeks, the internet stopped working. I finally had time off of work to deal with it today. Even if the internet worked I don't think the computer would stay open long enough for me to type this.

Any help is appreciated! :thumbsup:

Edited by xcrunner423, 21 July 2008 - 09:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xcrunner423

xcrunner423
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:27 AM

Also I found something called mc.exe which I deleted. Even though it was deleted the computer keeps restarting.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:51 AM

The symptoms you describe could be malware related or they could be due to hardware or overheating problems caused by a failed processor fan, bad memory (RAM), failing power supply, underpowered power supply, CPU overheating, motherboard, video card, faulty drivers, BIOS and firmware problems, dirty hardware, etc. If the computer is overheating, it usually begins to shutdown/restart on a more regular basis.

Error -2147023174 appears to be related to a Run-time error[/B].

In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error or crash occurs. You may not see the error code because the computer reboots too fast. An easier alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot feature so you can actually see the error code/STOP Message when it happens - this is also known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD).

To change the recovery settings and Disable Automatic Rebooting, go to Start > Run and type: sysdm.cpl
Click Ok or just press WINKEY + Pause/Break keys to bring up System Properties.
  • Go to the Advanced tab and under "Startup and Recovery", click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure".
  • Make sure "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is UNchecked.
  • Click "OK" and reboot for the changes to take effect.
Note: You can also do this by booting into "Safe Mode" and selecting the "Disable automatic restart on system failure" option if you have SP2 installed.

Doing this won't cure your problem but instead of crashing and restarting you will get a blue diagnostic screen with an error code and other information that will allow you to better trace your problem. Write down the full error code and any files/drivers listed, then provide that information in your next reply so we can assist you with investigating the cause.

Some rootkits can also trigger BSODs, shutdowns and various stop error/shutdown messages so it would also be wise to perform a scan for this type of problem.

Download and scan with Sophos Anti-rootkit, Panda AntiRootkit or AVG Anti-Rootkit.

Before performing an ARK scan it is recommended to do the following to ensure more accurate results and avoid common issues that may cause false detections.
  • Disconnect from the Internet or physically unplug you Internet cable connection.
  • Close all open programs, scheduling/updating tasks and background processes that might activate during the scan including the screensaver.
  • Temporarily disable your anti-virus and real-time anti-spyware protection.
  • After starting the scan, do not use the computer until the scan has completed.
  • When finished, re-enable your anti-virus/anti-malware (or reboot) and then you can reconnect to the Internet.
Note: Not all hidden components detected by ARKs are malicious. It is normal for a Firewall, some Anti-virus and Anti-malware software (ProcessGuard, Prevx1, AVG AS), sandboxes, virtual machines and Host based Intrusion Prevention Systems (HIPS) to hook into the OS kernal/SSDT in order to protect your system. You should not be alarmed if you see any hidden entries created by these software programs after performing a scan.

If your not finding any malware then its sounds like the latter problem.

NOTE: If your computer keeps shutting down on its own, follow these steps to stop the cycle:
  • Click on Start > Run and type: cmd
  • Press Enter.
  • At the Command Prompt type: shutdown -a
  • Press Enter.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 xcrunner423

xcrunner423
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:20 AM

I went to sysdm.cpl and "Write an event to the system log" was already checked and "Automatically restart" was already UNchecked. I don't get a blue diagnostic screen when I restart though.

I also ran the Panda Anti-root scan and it didn't find anything but the problem still continues.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:32 AM

Have you tried looking for the errors in the Event Log so you can gather more information? Read "How To Use the Event Viewer Applet".

#6 xcrunner423

xcrunner423
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:16 AM

When looking at the logs it would not let me click properties but here is what it said (the errors): I started at about the time the internet stopped working.

6-27 Dhcp None 1002 N/A DHNXPZ91
6-27 Service Control Manager None 7031 N/A DHNXPZ91
6-30 DCOM None 10010 Home DHNXPZ91
6-30 DCOM None 10010 Network Service DHNXPZ91
6-27 COM+ Unknown 4689 N/A DHNXPZ91
6-27 COM+ (98) 4822 N/A DHNXPZ91
6-30 Application Hang (101) 1002 DHNXPZ91
6-30 Application Hang (101) 1002 DHNXPZ910
7-20 Application Error None 1000 N/A DHNXPZ91
7-20 ccSetMgr None 13 System DHNXPZ91
7-20 winlogon None 1015 N/A DHNXPZ91

From today and yesterday (when it started to shutdown) there were : Under Application

Application Error Event: 1000
Application Error 100 Cat:(100)
COM + 4689
COM + 4689
COM + 4689
COM + 4689
COM + 4689
Application Error 1000
True Vector Service 509
Microsoft Fax 32045
Winlogon 1015
True Vector Service 5007
Event System 4609 Cat: (51)
ccSetmgr 13

System
Service Control Manager Event: 7301
Service Control Manager 7304
Service Control Manager 7001
Service Control Manager 7022
Srv 2000
DCOM 10010
Mrxsmb 8003
W32 Time 29
W32 Time 17

Edited by xcrunner423, 22 July 2008 - 11:04 AM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:54 AM

I'm not seeing any indication of malware here. I am going to move this topic to the XP forum where it will get more exposure. Some of our BC Advisors are very good at with event logs and can assist you further.

#8 xcrunner423

xcrunner423
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:48 PM

If I can't save the computer what I am really concerned about is getting my pictures and files off of it. I can't do this now because it will not allow me to paste, drag items or "sent to" cd or flash drive. Do you know of any way I could at least save my files?

#9 xcrunner423

xcrunner423
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:40 AM

So this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...2;\+system sounds pretty much like what is wrong with my computer but it was never solved.

As of now:
- NT AUTHORITY SHUTDOWN every few minutes, have to run (shutdown -a) command prompt to keep system running. After about 7 shutdown -a's it stops shutting down.
- network connections will not work, no Internet explorer
- can't turn off system restore
- I can not paste or drag items
- it takes a long time to turn on and shut down
- I have tried multiple scans but none of them came up with anything

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:13 AM

Since there's no evidence of malware, there could be something corrupted within your Windows installation. I'd suggest a repair install of XP as the easiest way to work out most of the possibilities.

If you've got IE7 installed, read this first: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964
Then the instructions for the repair install are here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 xcrunner423

xcrunner423
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:41 PM

I started to do it but the the Repair Option was not Available and the guide said in Step #5 if "the Repair is not one of the options, END setup"

Edited by xcrunner423, 24 July 2008 - 02:44 PM.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:34 PM

Please try the steps at Warning #2: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepair...ll.htm#warning2

If you're unable to accomplish the things listed in Warning #2, then you'll be looking at a clean install. If that's the case, it'll delete all of your data, so it's advisable to backup all of your data to prevent it's loss.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users