Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

European Army

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 907 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:58 PM

One of the ideas for creating a closer Europe is the creation of a European Army. I am not talking about the Rapid Response Force which will consist of 60,000 soldiers, but a giant, singular military entity.

There are obvious problems in creating this military. Language barriers and the many military equipment development companies from the different countries are but two.

The European Army, if it ever happens, would cause friction with the US which I think is what some Europeans want.

For this reason I am against it's creation as I think are most of the people from the UK.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:11 PM

I'm wondering if the primary supporters of this plan are the ones who would profit the most by the production and sale of military equipment.

Just wondering.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 thelittleduck

thelittleduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 907 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:39 PM

I'm wondering if the primary supporters of this plan are the ones who would profit the most by the production and sale of military equipment.

Just wondering.

It's a possibility of course, but the rapid response force is to be made up of current equipment and forces, and so there would be no increase in arms production.

I think any future Euro army would be made by countries allocating most, if not all of there current defense budget. Nearly all current troops would probably have to be a part of the army.

I can see no pratical need for the army. It is said by some that the army is needed to ensure that Europe dosen't start fighting amongst themselves again.

Here is what Angela Merkel said in 2007:

This is from an interview with timesonline. Won't link to it because of warnings of adware from Siteadvisor users.

Angela Merkel got Europe’s 50th birthday weekend off to a controversial start yesterday when she said that the creation of a European army should be a key goal in its next 50 years.

The German Chancellor added hastily that she did not want to steer Europe towards a federal superstate. But her words ignited a simmering row about the relationship between Nato and the growing number of small EU military missions.

Mrs Merkel said that peace could not be taken for granted despite Western Europe’s longest period without internal conflict and suggested that a common army could help to bind countries closer together. Her suggestion was shot down immediately by Britain, which strongly opposes the creation of a rival organisation to Nato, although it does support the limited EU joint rapid reaction units sent to help out in crisis areas such as Aceh, hit by the 2005 tsunami.

I just don't think it's needed.

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:32 AM

Most definitely against it. As an Englishman (we don't really call ourselves Brits) the beauracracy of forty three countries' political arms would kill it before it began.

Uniting separate countries' armies when necessary worked perfectly well in two world wars.

Typical Euro babble from people paid to talk
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#5 thelittleduck

thelittleduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 907 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:10 AM

A reply! Thank you m0le.

Typical Euro babble from people paid to talk.

Though I agree with that, if this army ever formed, it would cause tension with the US and cause others to tremble. Think of the past of certain European countries, especially ourselves, France and Germany.

Of course, this past doesn't mean anything in the slightest about intentions of the future but certain people will not see it like that.

#6 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:14 AM

Though I agree with that, if this army ever formed, it would cause tension with the US and cause others to tremble.

Pretty big if, I think.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#7 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:34 AM

Sounds like we all agree that's it's a very bad idea historically, logistically and politically.

Expect it to be announced by the EU any day now :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#8 thelittleduck

thelittleduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 907 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:38 AM

Pretty big if, I think.

Maybe, but don't underestimate those, and there are still many, who wish for a Federal Europe.

Expect it to be announced by the EU any day now

:flowers:

:thumbsup:

Edited by KingOfIdiocy, 29 July 2008 - 09:40 AM.

#9 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:40 AM

Okay, that's a much better emoticon than mine.

You win.

:thumbsup:
Posted Image

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:22 PM

Who is proposing this "giant, singular military entity"? I read last month that a Polish politician called for the building of a European Army, but I understood that what he meant by that was beefing up the rapid reaction forces. I haven't really seen anything else in the press about it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 thelittleduck

thelittleduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 907 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:01 PM

Who is proposing this "giant, singular military entity"?

Well, there is Angela Merkel, as stated in the 3rd post. It has always been lauded by Valéry Giscard d’Estaing.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:46 PM

Has there been any concrete proposals on what this army would consist of and what the administrative structure would look like?

Personally I can't really see any huge benefit to a European Army and I can't see all the member countries agreeing on it anyway. Although, if all they're talking about is a scaled up version of the rapid reaction forces that's a different thing.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 thelittleduck

thelittleduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 907 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:59 PM

Has there been any concrete proposals on what this army would consist of and what the administrative structure would look like?

No, as of yet anyway.

though, if all they're talking about is a scaled up version of the rapid reaction forces that's a different
thing.

Be could it then be a case of 'Let's scale it up some more, a little more, more, just a little more', and so on?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jun/07/eu.france

This may be a sign of things to come.

Everyone so far are agreeing it's a bad idea.

Edited by KingOfIdiocy, 29 July 2008 - 07:00 PM.

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:33 PM

I guess that the permanent operational headquarters in Brussels will have to be put on hold now that the reform treaty is dead (well...dead for now anyway).

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:39 PM

Who is proposing this "giant, singular military entity"?

Well, there is Angela Merkel, as stated in the 3rd post. It has always been lauded by Valéry Giscard d’Estaing.

Just seen this thread so will put my 2 cents in.

Trust a German to want to make a European Army they just want us British in it, their not bothered about France and Italy (Who are Surrender Monkeys). The Germans just don't want to be beaten again.

I wouldn't want it created at all, I rather we focus on our own Army, maybe recruit a few more Troops, or take a leaf from the French Books and make a Foreign Legion, "British Foreign Legion" got a ring to it :thumbsup: and also the Navy a bit as well it needs a bit of a Upgrade. The Airforce in my Opinion just needs a few more Pilots and Fighter Jets, maybe the new Euro Fighters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users