Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sd Media Card Reader & Ethernet Failed On Dell Laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shawnvw

shawnvw

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:59 PM

Dell Inspirion 6000 with Windows XP Media Center SP 3.

The built-in SD card reader and the Ethernet port have simply stopped working. The SD card no longer appears as a drive in Explorer ("My Computer"). I looked in Device Manager:

- The Ethernet Controller shows with a exclamation point, and says "This device is not configured correctly (Code 1)". I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but the Wizard tells me it "Cannot find the necessary hardware".

- I see something called "SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller". I don't know if that's the driver for the SD card or some sort of support for the SD card, but it's the only thing in the Device Manager that says "SD card". It shows as working. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but it doesn't seem to change anything. I went to the Dell Support page to look for any SD drivers, but there's nothing on the list that says "Media Card Reader drivers" or anything like that. What should I be looking for?

I did install the latest chipset driver.

I tried running SFC /SCANNOW, but it asked me to insert the installation disk, and I don't beleive the laptop came with one. Isn't there a way to access the files from the hard drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:13 PM

Try checking your BIOS settings if you have disabled these devices by accident.

#3 shawnvw

shawnvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:59 PM

Try checking your BIOS settings if you have disabled these devices by accident.

I went into Setup but can't find anything that even refers to the Ethernet or SD/Media Card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users