Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing File

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nathskiii

nathskiii

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:57 PM

I have recently tried to set up Windows Vista on my computer and when i tried to set it up it failed. I am now trying to reinstall Windows XP but cannot, and i cannot get either of them to work, as the Windows Vista disk comes up with a black screen

I start up the computer and it goes to load windows and says:

"Invalid BOOT.INI File
Booting from C:\windows\"

It then tries to load a bar along the bottom of the screen but doesnt move, then comes up with a message saying:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\SYSTEM\vgaoem.fom

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original setup CD-ROM

Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

I insert the disk and boot it, it goes through loading the files then eventually says:

"setup is starting Windows"

Before anything else happens a blue screen appears saying:

"A problem has been detected

Technical information

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005,0xf7cb7208,0xf7cb6f08)
*** pci.sys - Address f786b0bf base at f7864000, DateStamp 3c0bfadb"

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thankyou =)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:42 PM

The error comes when Windows kernel is not able to handle some exception. It may be a hardware problem like hard disk got corrupted or bad sectors or RAM is faulty.

Try to partition your hard disk again, make sure the RAM stick is sitting on motherboard properly, check the connectors of hard disk. dont leave any unused device connected but unpowered to ur pc.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:23 PM

Hmmm...take a look, http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic16553.html

Two questions: Does this system have a PCI-e video card? What is the version of XP which you are attempting to install?

What happened that you say the Vista install failed? Any error message?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users