Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Randomly Shutting Down.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah8503

Sarah8503

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:30 PM

My desktop (well, my sister's desktop) is randomly shutting down. All the fans are working, she was able to keep it running long enough to do the WINDOWS updates on it. Then after she got done with them, it shut down. It's been doing this off and on for a month now. We just thought it was because of the heat, because its hot outside and in our house. I tried to get on today, to do a virus/anti-spyware scan, and the computer wouldn't stay on long enough. She said he might need to update her drivers - but neither one of us know really how to do that. Any help? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:04 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Any error messages? These usually provide clues as to what might be wrong...and how to cure it.

Louis

#3 Sarah8503

Sarah8503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:26 PM

Well, I have no idea. We can't even get it to boot now. When we can get it to boot - it doesn't stay up very long.

when/if i can get it to boot, where do I look for error messages?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:34 PM

OK, back to the beginning :thumbsup:.

System manufacturer and model?

Do you or your sister have a MS XP CD?

Louis

#5 Sarah8503

Sarah8503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:20 PM

System manufacturer and model? : : : : : : :

I know it's a custom built computer. Intel ® Pentium ® 4CPU 2.66 GHz 2.67GHz 1.00 GB of RAM

Do you or your sister have a MS XP CD? : : : : : :

Yes we do.

By the way, I just ran a chkdsk on the C: Drive. Didn't know if you needed to know that or not.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:25 PM

Now...did you run chkdsk /r or did just run chkdsk? Reason...chkdsk by itself does not repair any errors found.

I thought that the system would not boot...but it seems that it does or the hard drive was moved to another system. What happened ?

Louis

#7 Sarah8503

Sarah8503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:40 PM

Its an off and on thing. Sometimes it will boot, sometimes it won't.

I got it booted up enough to go to the C: drive and perform a chkdsk. I didn't know if that would help or not.

So - what do I need to do next.

#8 Sarah8503

Sarah8503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:45 PM

another thing. The computer seems to stay on longer if we are not logged on to an user. If we stay on the blue screen - where you can pick which user you wanna log onto - it stays up longer? Could it be a program running or something?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:13 PM

About it staying on longer...that might indicate that something is wrong with the profile.

If I get to the logon screen, I consider the boot successful.

I guess you didn't understand my question about chkdsk, please read it again. Running chkdsk in read-mode is a waste of time, IMO.

Louis

#10 Sarah8503

Sarah8503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:05 PM

When it booted up ... chkdsk ran. So, I believe it was chkdsk.

Well, on the desktop - my niece and my sister both have profiles, and it shuts down on both of them, after the on log onto the profiles after a while.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:06 AM

Take your XP disk and put it in the CD/DVD drive.

Can you get into the BIOS? If so, change your boot options so that the 1st option is your CD/DVD drive, not the hard drive.

How to get into your computer's BIOS - http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-...enter-BIOS.html

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom

Save the changes made in the BIOS, following the instructions which are onscreen. The system will automatically reboot.

After the reboot, a prompt may appear onscreen (near the bottom) which says (in effect): Press any key if you want to boot the CD. Press any key.

If all goes well, the XP CD will start to load/run.

Eventually, you will see a screen asking you what you would like to do. Press the ltter R on your keyboard to proceed to the Windows Recovery Console.

As you progress to the Recovery Console you may be asked which partition you would like to boot into. Type the number associated with the partition containing your NTFS partition (1) and then press enter to continue.

You may be asked for your administrator password. Simply hit the Enter key.

Type the following (without the quotes) "chkdsk /r" and then press Enter.

This procedure may take a while depending on the size of your drive and problems encountered. It will look for the errors on your drive and repair them. When it completes, you will be back at a command prompt.

Type "exit" (without quotes) and hit Enter. Remove CD.

System will reboot. If you did not remove CD, don't fret. Same screen as before will come (Press any key if you want to boot to CD.) This time, ignore it.

If chkdsk was able to fix whatever was wrong, system should boot into XP.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users