Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinkvantage Password Manager In Systray

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 paulp575

paulp575

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:10 PM

Recently purchased a Lenovo ThinkPad R61i laptop.

While I have been quite successful in removing most the 'crapware', there is one program I can not stop running whenever Windows XP Pro is started!

When I hover over the icon located in the system tray, it displays ThinkVantage Password Manager.

The file it is using to start is located here: C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Client Security Solution\TVTPWM_TRAY.EXE

I have installed Autoruns and it is not listed there.
I have searched all the Run keys in the registry and it's not there either.

This is a program that I feel is not necessary to run every time my computer is started.
I can access via the Start Menu.

I'm stuck as to whether I should just delete that file and see if the program will still run from the shortcut in the Start Menu.

Anyone else have any knowledge about this program?

Thanks,

Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:22 AM

Unfortunately, I do not have any knowledge on it. I can say, though, that deleting a file to stop it from loading is not the right way. Have you tried looking in the add/remove programs for it?

#3 paulp575

paulp575
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:49 AM

Unfortunately, I do not have any knowledge on it. I can say, though, that deleting a file to stop it from loading is not the right way. Have you tried looking in the add/remove programs for it?

Looked there - not listed.
I even looked in a program called "Your Uninstaller!" - not listed there. (this program deletes programs and all the stuff left behind by many program's uninstall routines!)

I think it's a part of the Client Security Solution program that gives you quick access to any stored passwords by placing an icon in the system tray. I don't think it has any other function!

I'm just trying to keep the number of running programs to a minimum!

Paul

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,591 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:51 AM

If you do not need the client security solution, and have the backup cds, then you can try uninstalling that.

#5 paulp575

paulp575
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:58 AM

If you do not need the client security solution, and have the backup cds, then you can try uninstalling that.

That is my next proposed step.

However, I'm not sure what all that program does. Haven't been able to find much about that program on the Lenovo web site, but not giving up!

Thanks for your help,

Paul

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,591 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:02 PM

My theory when removing software is if I uninstall it, and I dont see any adverse affects to my computer's use or the programs I run on it, then it stays off.

#7 magedovich

magedovich

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:04 PM

you just run the "Client Security Solution" Application from the ThinkVantage folder in the start menu programs, then chose the "password Manager" from the left side then click on Disable. Thats it, it wont start with windows again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users