Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repeated Blue Screens

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 anirban

anirban

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:25 AM

Hello all

For a long time now I am getting the dreaded Blue Screens on starting the system.After 3 or 4 blue screens the system ultimately works though sometimes even after starting the machine suddenly stops giving blue screen.

I have a 4 yr old machine with following details:

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2664 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0602, 10/19/2005

SMBIOS Version 2.3

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 141.95 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 1.03 GB

most of the error messages are

irql_not_less_or_equal

pfn_list_corrupt

driver irql_not_less_or_equal

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION 0xC1

moreover often it says that one of your drivers is outdated/not working replace it with a new driver

some times it points to files win32k.sys or ati2dvag.exe or Fastfat.sys etc.

some of my drivers it seems needs updation but I am unable to get the proper replacements
specially the display adapter ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series.

I tried RADARSYNC but it is giving an exception and stopping before I can see the results.

also the Ctrl keys are not working of my keyboard which I have put up in the forum on External hardware.

Pls help!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by anirban, 20 July 2008 - 11:39 AM.

ANIRBAN

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:20 PM

Rather than try to troubleshoot every error message that you have received...I'd suggest a repair install at this point...and then troubleshooting error messages as they occur from this moment on, when they occur.

Cumulative surgery = repair install in my world :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:15 PM

I would sugest you format and do a clean install. The magic wand for Windows errors. :thumbsup:

#4 anirban

anirban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:05 PM

Hello
Yes a clean install is an option but I would really like to use it as a last resort.As far as Louis's advice by repair install do you mean inserting the XP cd and running the recovery console?

But is there no other way to troubleshoot,if updating drivers was an option I would like to avail that first.

I remember having done a clean install some time back but the problems reoccured after a small period.
ANIRBAN

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 04:23 AM

A reformat and fresh start would be by far the easiest solution.
However if you are only considering that as a last resort, there are some things that you could try.

To start with, I would perform a Chkdsk /f /r to do this click start then run type cmd and then chkdsk /f /r then enter.

I would then run a memory diagnostic tool such as memtest http://www.memtest.org/
Regards,

Alan.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:14 AM

Windows XP Professional Repair install from CD - http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/i...dexfullpage.htm

Read How to Repair Install at http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

Louis

#7 anirban

anirban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:57 AM

Hello
First of all thanks to Louis for the wonderful links,they are very helpful.Also from what I can gather my stored data on Hard disc do not get erased with a Repair Install,except for the restore pts.Pls correct me if I am wrong.
ANIRBAN

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:08 AM

Anything related to the Windows O/S...browser, critical updates are known items...will revert to whatever version is on the XP CD used to do the repair.

All data and program files remain, since the only thing occurring is a replacement of all Windows system files. All hardware remains functional.

Now I must give the obligatory warning...anything can go wrong at any time :thumbsup:. But I've never had an XP repair install do anything harmful to the system. The repair may not solve the problems existing...but it won't hurt anything, under normal circumstances.

Louis

#9 anirban

anirban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:34 AM

hello
Yes I think that I would do a repair install of XP ,if nothing else succeeds.
Today during startup I got the BLUE SCREEN several times.According to Alan's advice I studied the Event Viewer.
The Application Event Viewer showed no errors.The Security Event Viewer had no item to display.

FOR the system Event Viewer there were the following errors.

1)
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7034
Date: 7/24/2008
Time: 11:37:36 AM
User: N/A
Computer: HOME-F6E8A2CD0A
Description:
The OracleOraHome90HTTPServer service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

2)
Event ID: 7022
Time: 11:37:36 AM
Description:
The OracleOraHome90HTTPServer service hung on starting.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

3)
Event ID: 7023
Time: 11:35:58 AM
Description:
The Task Scheduler service terminated with the following error:
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

Moreover in all the Blue Screen one thing is said very clearly that one of my driver is corrupt or outdated .
I have also found out that the display driver ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series is outdated/corrupt ,is there no way for me to rectify the m/c with these info and avoid a reinstall???

Edited by anirban, 24 July 2008 - 01:40 AM.

ANIRBAN

#10 anirban

anirban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:59 AM

The system again showed blue screens but this time there are no errors in event viewer!!!
ANIRBAN

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:44 PM

FWIW: I just went through a series of BSODs on this system this morning.

To get through them all, it required several moves:

a. I had installed a memory module which was incompatible or damaged/defective yesterday. I had four memory modules for a system that supports two, so I expected possible problems. Tracked that down because the BSOD referended Memory Management in the error message details.

b. After receiving error indicating that some service would not start properly, tracked down (via Event Viewer) the fact that my install of Windows Defender had become corrupt. Uninstalled old, reinstalled/updated.

c. Received various closings of IE with vague references of need for shutdown. Traced that to corrupt install of Adobe Flash 9 on system, after message pointed to plugin problems. Uninstalled old version, installed more recent.

Point? Use the clues provided and it's easier to actually troubleshoot BSODS and not always assume that updating drivers is going to be "the solution."

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users