Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are Spy Sweeper and SpySubtract

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lurkio

Lurkio

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 14 April 2005 - 10:39 AM

I hope this is the proper Forum for my question(s).

My 'puter runs XP Home with SP1 installed.

I recently installed a 30 day free trial of Webroot's Spy Sweeper.

Ever since, I have been plagued with a non-stop series of warnings from another application I run (SpySubtract). The warnings always take the form of

Warning! The following web browser settings have been changed: and the notations "IE Search Assistant URL (User)" and "IE Search Customization URL (User)" have been changed.

My concerns are:

1. Is there any way to determine what the legitimate settings for these changed items are? For clarification, have I inadvertantly allowed the change, and is IE now trying to return to the valid settings? Or, is an attempted hijack happening?

2. Is this a concern given that I only use IE to check for Windows Updates (my regular browsers are Firefox and Opera)?

3. How do I determine what has or is trying to change IE settings, and then delete it?

4. Is it possible that Webroot's Spy Sweeper is a rogue and changing the settings?

I run Hijack This and submit the logs to their site. The online analysis once showed a nasty. Other than that one inatance, a few unknowns appear like references to applications I have installed such as StickIt, PGP, Webshots, FreeRAM XP, Startup Mechanic, and the following entry relating to my Epson Stylus C80 printer:

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C80 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_A10IC2.EXE /P23 "EPSON Stylus C80 Series" /O5 "LPT1:" /M "Stylus C80"

Sorry to be sooooooo long winded but a summary of my concerns is:

1. This only happened after installing Spy Sweeper.

2. Yet it is SpySubtract that provides the warnings.

3. How do I stop these warnings?

Thanks very much in advance. If my plea should be in another Forum, please feel free to move it.

Lurkio

Edited by Lurkio, 14 April 2005 - 10:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:32 PM

Basically you have two programs running on the same machine conflicting with each other. Both programs have real time protection that monitor certain registry keys that spyware and other malware tend to modify. If either program detects a modification then it will ask if you want it to be allowed.

The problem is that spyblocker may have been programmed to change a setting back to a page, or has been trained to know that your current page is good. Spysweeper comes on and tries to change it back to its default page, which then spyblocker thinks is something hijacking which blocks which makes spysweeper try to change....etc.

Pick one real time protection and use that only. You can have both programs installed for scans when you want them, but only use one for the real-time scanning.

#3 Lurkio

Lurkio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 14 April 2005 - 10:26 PM

Typical of me to force these two to compete with each other!

I will punt the free trial of Spy Sweeper and keep SpyBlocker as my real time protection.

Thanks very much for your time and concise explanation Grinler, much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users