Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Audio

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WaltM

WaltM

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:15 AM

I'm using an Asus P4P800 Deluxe motherboard with integrated SoundMAX audio, and XP Pro. The system was working fine until I ran RegCure and allowed it to fix all registry errors. I lost my audio and my Logitech camera. In Device Manager, everything under sound, video and game controllers has a yellow exclamation point. My Logitech USB Camera (Pro 500) also has a yellow exclamation point under Universal Serial Bus controllers. Device status of everything with the yellow exclamation point shows "A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32). Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

This is what I've done so far:
- Used RegCure to restore the system to its configuration before I accepted the registry fixes.
- Used system restore to roll back to its configuration before I installed RegCure.
- Uninstalled all yellow exclamation point drivers and reinstalled the original drivers.

Nothing I have tried has done any good. When I reloaded the SoundMAX drivers, they seemed to load okay until I got a message that said "Cannot start this hardware. A (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)"

I'm out of ideas. Can anyone help?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:46 AM

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Try uninstalling the drivers in the Device manager and reinstall the drivers from the disk that came with you motherboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:23 AM

Hi WaltM
Should you not have your disk, download and install the audio drivers from Asus here. (SoundMAX Audio Driver version 5.12.01.3630 WHQL driver for XP)

A (service) for this device has been disabled

If you should still get the above message afterwards, go to control panel>administrative tools>services and make sure the windows audio service is set to automatic and is running.
Let us know how you come out.

EDIT: BTW, you'll need to select your motherboard using the dropdown list in the link I left you.
1. Motherboard
2. Socket 478
3. P4P800 Deluxe > Audio
It's the first one on the list at the top. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 21 July 2008 - 07:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users