Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network Issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 siouxdax

siouxdax

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:13 AM

I have a wireless network set up for my desktop and laptop. Now, all of a sudden, my desktop cannot see/open the shared files on my laptop, but my laptop can see/open all shared files on my desktop. I have looked at every Microsoft Knowledge Base article and have posted to another PC help site. I've tried everything I know. Even my tech-savvy friend didn't know what to do.

So, perhaps someone here could give me some insight as to what may be the problem. Is there a way to totally redo my wireless network from scratch? Of course, that's my last resort.

I need some serious, friendly help! Any help is very much appreciated.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:18 AM

Hello Daniel,

Can you talk us through your wireless setup with as much detail as possible? Information such as systems involved XP,Vista etc. Hardware being used.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Harko

Harko

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:23 PM

This sounds kinda like the problem I posted about this morning: sudden loss of file and printer sharing among PCs on a wireless network over the past couple of days.

Hopefully we'll both get some good answers, because I'm at wit's end myself about this.

#4 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:34 AM

Hello Daniel,

Can you talk us through your wireless setup with as much detail as possible? Information such as systems involved XP,Vista etc. Hardware being used.

I'll tell you what I know. My desktop is sort of a Franken-Computer. About a year ago I got a new motherboard and video card. At this time I don't have those details, since the friend that installed it isn't available right now. But it's about 3.40GHz with 1GB RAM. It's still considered a higher-end PC.

My router is a Buffalo, newer model. Have never had a problem with it. In the past year I've owned it I've only had to reset it once, maybe twice.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 1.60 GHz with 1GB of RAM. The laptop runs VERY well. I even play The Sims 2 with all the expansion packs and it plays better on the laptop than the desktop. The laptop was purchased less than two years ago.

I think that maybe the problem is in the Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection. I've tried rolling back the driver, updating the driver (there's no updated driver).

Again, my laptop can talk to the desktop, but not the other way around.

Let me reiterate that this issue seemed to come out of the blue. No major hardware or software changes around the time that the connectivity issue cropped up.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need some details. You may have to direct me on how/where to get these details. I am a seasoned PC user, but not know-it-all, jack-of-all-trades type of user.

I'm starting to wonder if the entire home network should be "torn" down, then start from the bottom up, but I would need some serious instruction on how to do this.

I do have a very computer-savvy friend and he had no idea what to do (but he may have just said that to avoid investing the time it may require).

Again, any help is VERY much appreciated.

Edited by siouxdax, 21 July 2008 - 01:50 AM.

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 04:31 AM

Do either of the systems have a firewall at all?

Just to check if they are able to communicate, go to start then run type cmd then on the new window type ipconfig this will display a list of information. Each connection medium
IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default gateway.

do ipconfig on both systems and then compare results

The subnet must be the same.
The IP address mus be different
the default gateway should be the same.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:49 AM

Do either of the systems have a firewall at all?

Just to check if they are able to communicate, go to start then run type cmd then on the new window type ipconfig this will display a list of information. Each connection medium
IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default gateway.

do ipconfig on both systems and then compare results

The subnet must be the same.
The IP address mus be different
the default gateway should be the same.

I'll have to do this later in the week, as I have some pressing issues, but I will respond with the details ASAP.

Thanks!

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#7 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:20 AM

Okay:
After much research, I've found out that the friend of mine that installed my wireless router (Buffalo WHR G54S), had installed Tomato 1.07 over the original firmware. I have no idea how to configure this at all. I am able to connect to the internet on both desktop and laptop. Also, I'm able to access my files on my desktop from my laptop, but not the other way around; in other words I can't access my laptop files from my desktop.

I spoke with a representative at Buffalo to determine all of this. Basically they can't help me unless I buy a new router, or else learn how to use Tomato 1.07.

All I want to do at this time is secure the connection and resolve the file-sharing issue.

Again, any help is much appreciated. You all have already gone above and beyond for me; and for that I'm truly grateful.

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:44 AM

Hi Daniel, Sorry for the delayed response, I have been very ill and am only just starting to recover.

I can understand Buffalo's position replacing the firmware (basically the operating system) has essentially made it a new router.

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato is the website about the firmware, it gives some how-tos and some videos on the firmware which may help with this problem.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users