Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Attempt To Use Vista To Partition New Ext. Hdd Something Of A Failure

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wsr2355

wsr2355

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:18 PM

I'll begin by saying that I have successfully partitioned dozens of HDDs with XP until I burned up the CPU in my XP machine last month (don't ask). So I am not entirely unaccustomed to the procedure - with XP.

Project was partitioning the 465GB of free space left over on a new 500GB external HDD after Maxtor used up 35GB for software etc.

Before embarking upon the task for the first time with Vista (the replacement machine, like all the others, only came with Vista Premium) I wanted to make sure that I did it correctly. So I searched every forum and BB and KB I could find, including Maxtor's of course, looking for guidance. Only to discover, not to my surprise, that unambiguous information and the word Vista are mutually exclusive.

Maxtor offered to format the entire disk but that would wipe out the 35GB of software, some of which sounded useful. So I resorted to one method I have used in the past, and that was to shrink the existing single partition via disk management, every time in the past ending with two approx equal size drives, one primary, one logical. I did again today until they were approximately equal size, one becoming a primary partition, the other unallocated. The next step was to name and format the unallocated partition. The naming went fine, but the formatting - not so much.

An error message displayed saying that the formatting action about to be performed was (sorry, wrote down exact words and now can't find them) essentially not permitted or not possible under the circumstances. When I returned to My Computer the drive letter assigned to that partition was gone and the total size of the Maxtor was now about 210GB. The unallocated partition has become invisible and inaccessible.

Anybody feel like bailing me out? It's been a much longer and more tedious day than it should have been.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:10 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I don't know anything about Vista...but I understand that the partitioning tools provide more flexibility than any previous Windows version.

http://www.tweakvista.com/Article38991.aspx

OK...you've successfully reduced the size of your C: partition to arpprox 210GB and you have 35GB allocated to the Software partition, that should leave about 220GB of unallocated space. This is not a partition, it's just space on the hard drive that is not currently being used by the system.

Where is this software partition located, in relation to the C: partition? In front or in back?

Before we go any further, you need to be sure that you want only one partition...and you need to be sure that you want it take all of the unallocated space. If you want more than one partition, be sure that you only take/use the amount of space from the unallocated...that will still allow for creation of other partitions you might want.

To make Unallocated Space useable space, you must create and format a new partition. This is done exactly as it was done in XP, using the tools in Disk Management. You just right-click on the Unallocated Space and select the Format option and follow the prompts.

You want to make your partition a primary partition, not an extended or logical partition.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2008 - 10:13 AM.

#3 wsr2355

wsr2355
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:14 PM

Louis

Many thanks for your response.

The software is in front of the C: partition.

I wanted the end result to be 1) the software, 2) a primary partition of approx 220GB (the shrinking wizard reported about 440 available GB for shrinking), and 3) another accessible partition (in the past either a primary or logical has worked fine) of approx 220GB.

Unallocated space is a common result using this method and has always been converted to usable partitions by formatting the entire space just as you described. Except this time it refused to format it with an error message I had never seen before and still cannot find.

Now I don't know how the total size of C: dropped to 210 since it was about 220 when it and the unallocated space were sitting side by side awaiting action.

The "Tweak Vista" link you provided is exactly what I did.

Do you have ideas on how I can visualize and access the currently invisible unallocated space?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:23 PM

It helps if you share the exact error message that came up.

Louis

#5 wsr2355

wsr2355
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:16 PM

I know - which is why I am so meticulous about writing them down. My grandchildren are visiting and one their favorite pasttimes is climbing on grampa, even while he's working. I was so frustrated yesterday I should have put a stop to it and made sure I kept track of that message instead of playing with them. But they relieved a bit of my irritation until I discovered that I had misplaced the message. I am quite annoyed with myself which of course helps nothing. I hate to ask for help when I cannot provide what I know would be required or at least extremely useful to those offering that help. The four adults have spent more than 3 hours so far deconstructing my office trying to find that memo sheet without success.

Sorry.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:16 PM

That's OK :thumbsup:.

Why are you calling the Unallocated Space invisible? Don't you see it in Disk Management?

FWIW: Back to the logical/primary thing for a moment...the reason that I stay away from logical partitions and extended partitions is the fact that removing/adjusting them may not be as quick as dealing with primary partitions...because you have to change them in the inverse order in they were created. A primary is just what it appears to be, straightforward and simple...no matter where it's placed.

Louis

#7 wsr2355

wsr2355
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:53 PM

Louis

Yes, plain as day! I was looking only at My Computer. (I think my CPU last month might not have been the only thing fried)

There is the 205 active primary partition (properties reports 220 actual GB so that's a pretty big commission the partition procedure got) and the 260 GB unallocated (I did not remember that it was that big yesterday).

Now before I do something stupid, let me confirm with you the plan if you don't mind.
- When right clicked, the empty white unallocated box becomes striped and offers 3 options: New simple volume, New Spanned Volume, and New Striped Volume.
- I assume I will want New Simple Volume

I have not gone any farther than that because what I've done so far is reversible. I don't know about past New Simple Volume any more.

Thanks

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:38 PM

LOL...you want the new simple volume (which I had never heard of until you posted).

Take a look: http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/...4-895cfaa35fa3/

That was a great question to ask, I didn't realize they were using different terminology in Vista.

Louis

#9 wsr2355

wsr2355
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:18 PM

Louis

I am greatly pleased to report that tonight, everything went exactly according to plan. I took screen shots of every step just in case but they were unnecessary as there was not so much as a burp. There is now a Maxtor external hard drive reporting two Healthy Primary Partitions; One Active; one 205 GB and the other 260GB (I'm going to leave them that size!).

I really do appreciate the hand holding. The Microsoft link just goes to further what I said in my original post "unambiguous information and the word Vista are mutually exclusive."

In the month since I have been forced to use it I have come to despise it, like many other people I know. There are some features that seem to improvements over XP Pro but not enough to justify the day-in day-out headaches and aggravations. We found a step-by-step conversion guide from Vista to XP in PC Mag and another actually on a computer manufacturer's website. We'll try it on a computer that nobody cares about and if successful, there will be a mass conversion in the neighborhood.

But I digress. Many thanks for your patience and tolerance and advice. I'll probably find that error message memo now.

Good night.

Steven Johnson

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:36 AM

Well done, good persistence...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users