Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hangs Buring Windows Screen.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 raidencmc

raidencmc

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:03 PM

I am not sure what happened but I booted up this morning and my computer was stuck on the windows screen. It starts up in safe mode but it hangs up when you try the last known configuration. I went into ms config and tried diagnostic mode and it did not do anything different. I tried selective startup and unchecked every box and still nothing changed. I looked at the post http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic138692.html but did not think any of the bold descriptions were me. My hdd manufacturer does not offer a disk checker and I am leary about the other things I read cause they did not exactly say what I was doing(I don't mean how to do it but what the purpose and why I needed to). I tried to system restore but it would not allow the program to startup.

Edited by raidencmc, 19 July 2008 - 09:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:31 PM

Hang on I got it to boot I will give more info when I know when I investigate a bit more.

Edited by raidencmc, 19 July 2008 - 09:31 PM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:50 AM

Who is the manufacturer of your hard drive? In the case of the very few manufacturer's that don't offer a hard drive test, I'd suggest the Hitachi Drive Fitness test (free here: http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT ) or the Seagate SeaTools (available for free here: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools )

If it starts in Safe Mode, but not in normal mode, then it's something that's loaded in normal mode (but not in Safe Mode) that's likely to be the issue. In general, this means it's most likely a software problem - although hardware problems can cause this under certain circumstances (for example, a bad NIC may not affect anything in Safe Mode because it's drivers aren't loaded - but loading the drivers in normal mode may cause issues)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:56 PM

Hear is my update. It does not hang up just takes a very long time before I get to the logon page. Nothing has been added or changed. The computer functions the same after it has booted up but just takes forever. Also tried to do a system restore and it only had one restore point. Could I have a virus? How do I rule out drivers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users