Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox and DAP compatibility

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cyberscot

cyberscot

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 14 April 2005 - 07:58 AM

I have recently been 'converted' to using Mozilla Firefox, but in my early setup I made the mistake of having Download Accelerator Plus running as my download manager. Having read quite a bit on the malware problems associated with this product I decided to uninstall it, which I have done.
However, despite having downloaded and installed more 'compatible' download managers for Firefox, I cannot get Firefox to unistall it's association with DAP. Everytime I try to download something it throws up the error that it "cannot load DAP" and so aborts the download.
Anyone have an idea how to make Firefox "forget" about DAP once and for all?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:58 AM

Try a fresh install of Firefox.

Uninstall your current version from Add/Remove programs.
Then go to C: / Program files, and delete the Mozilla Firefox folder.

To completely uninstall Firefox, you will need to delete your Profile folder.
This file is not removed when you uninstall Firefox from Add/Remove. It will retain all of your previous settings, and re-apply them to your new install, if not deleted.

Set windows to show hidden files, then navigate to:

C:\ Documents and Settings \ user name \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles
Delete this folder (or send it to the Recycle Bin as a backup), and then try reinstalling Firefox.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 cyberscot

cyberscot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2005 - 02:17 AM

OK - uninstalled all versions of Firefox (1.0 , 1.0.1 and 1.0.2) and deleted the two profiles that I had in the "application data" section, then reinstalled, but it still throws up the same error message concerning DAP. I have installed "Getright" as the download manager, and in the FlashGot options, it accepts that it's running, but it still reverts to looking for DAP.

The only thing I 'kept' from the profiles section were the Bookmarks (an HTML file) - could this have contained the reference to DAP? (I have a lot of info in those Bookmark files and I didn't want to lose it all).

Any further ideas?

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2005 - 02:57 AM

Your bookmarks shouldn't be the problem.

In your Firefox plugins folder, do you happen to have a file named npdap.dll or dapop.dll?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 cyberscot

cyberscot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2005 - 05:50 AM

Yep - ndap.dll is there.
I take it that I have to delete this, but will I have to reinstall again?

#6 cyberscot

cyberscot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2005 - 08:25 AM

Have deleted the npdap.dll file and that seems to have sorted it out. Firefox now uses the GetRight download manager and doesn't seem to have any problems.
Thanks for the advice and assistance (once again!)

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:10 AM

You're welcome, cyberscot
Glad you got your problem fixed.

Yeah, those 2 .dlls are DAP related.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users