Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Learning

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kthxbai

kthxbai

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:38 PM

Hm, I'm not to sure if this is the correct topic to post on, but I have not browsed the forum completely. Anyways. I am very interested in computers, but I get confused when i see stuff like:

1. Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 3.4gHz
2. 4GB Ballistix Tracer DDR2 1066mHz
3. 8800 Ultra (768MB) Super Clocked @ 665mHz
4. ASUS Striker Extreme / Maximus Formula
5. 2x 150GB Raptors 10,000RPM in RAID 0
6. 850W CoolerMaster PSU

Now ima take a shot at what i THINK i know to try and figure out what this all is.

So 1 = Processor?
2 = RAM?
3. No idea. :flowers:
4. "
5. "
6. Case?

And even if I got some of those right, I dont understand the whole Gigahertz, or whatever. Like why does 3.4gHz matter?
And like Core duo? Does that mean like... Well. this is going to be stupid but.. Does that mean 2 thingys are working to make your comp run faster? Lol. Im so noob. I need help. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:09 PM

Well you got number 1 and 2 right, lol.

1. An Intel processor that has two cores built into it, that's what the core 2 duo means. Having multiple cores means it can do multiple things better.
2. That is ram. the mhz is the speed it runs at. When picking out a motherboard, it will usually say what speed of ram it supports. It's usually a good idea to match the number's.
3. That is a graphics card. That is currently a higher end card for extreme gamers.
4. That is a motherboard. The brand is Asus, and the striker extreme boards are made for gaming.
5. Those are hard drive's. the 2X means they have two of them, and raid is a configuration of two or more hard drive's which I don't want to tell you about yet because it might confuse you :thumbsup: (no offense). The 10,000rpm means the disk spins at 10,000 rotations per minute. Most hard drives spin at 7200rpm, and laptops spin at 5400rpm. this makes loading things a bit faster (not much faster and these drives usually cost a lot more).
6. That is a power supply. 850W means 850 Watts. PSU stands for Power Supply Unit. Coolermaster is the brand.

All the megahertz and gigahertz are the latencies of the part. The most important one to pay attention to is the processor's. Now this number alone doesn't determine how fast a processor is, but it is a pretty big factor, especially if you're comparing two like processors such as core 2 duo. most every dual-core processor is faster than a single-core processor (except maybe some of the really slow dual-core's comapred to the fastest single-cores). Nowadays, all they make are dual-cores, tri-cores, and quad-cores.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:22 PM

Dual core is better than single core, but quadcore is best. more ghz and size of RAM the better. In short larger the numbers, faster the computer. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users