Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something I Still Don't Get

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

Hey guys!

This has been bugging me for a while.

Warm air rises, cold air sinks. We all know that.

So why on Earth does a graphics card fan point DOWN? I mean, doesn't that beat the point? Wouldn't the cooling be more efficient if the fan pointed upwards? :thumbsup:

Is there a reason for this?

Thanks!

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:14 PM

I'm not really sure, but I heard the graphics card fan points upward in BTX form factor cases/motherboards.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:18 PM

Sometimes...direct air movement is deemed more beneficial...that would be my guess.

Are you sure that they all blow towards the card (I don't have any cards with fans/heatsinks)? I would think that those with heatsinks function in the same manner that CPU fans do (move the air away from the heatsink/card).

Example...when you eat hot food...what do you do?

Take a look at one perspective: http://www.thinktechno.com/2007/03/25/tuto...ic-card-with-5/

Louis

#4 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:04 PM

I'm not really sure, but I heard the graphics card fan points upward in BTX form factor cases/motherboards

Yes, that is true, but I do not have a BTX motherboard. I'm quite used to the way the motherboard is designed currently, and I personally do not want to change unless there's a big difference in it.

Are you sure that they all blow towards the card (I don't have any cards with fans/heatsinks)?

Not really sure what you mean by 'blow towards the card'. Care to elaborate?

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:05 PM

Well, I think with the graphics card, the fan doesn't actually blow outwards in the direction it's facing like most case fans do, it blows the air in the direction of the heatsink, out of the case.

The thing is, to of course contradict myself, I recently got a dual-slot cooler graphics card, and I can't feel the air being blown out. It feels kind of cool like it's taking in air, but that doesn't seem right. Also, single-slot card's don't have any vents for the outside of the case so this wouldn't really work either. Hopefully I didn't confuse you, because I think I'm a little confused myself :thumbsup: .

Edited by Sterling14, 19 July 2008 - 10:07 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 ab30494

ab30494

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:35 PM

the fan on the card isnt blowning on the card, but more then the heatsink,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users