Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Removing Ie From The Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:26 PM

A friend of mine told me today that he was going to remove Internet Explorer from his computer.

He has Windows XP Home SP3.

He uses FireFox as his browser.

I told him that I did not think that he can remove IE. He says that it can be done.

Who is right ??

Thanks for your time.

Dennis :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nebon

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:16 PM

Hi Dennis H,

Usually you are not able to remove Internet Explorer, as it has become an integrated part of windows rather than a separate piece of Windows and manually removing it would result in a damaged version of windows. However there are programs that can 'remove' Windows components such as Internet Explorer. One such program is nLite. So I would say you are both right to a certain extent.

Have a great day

Edited by Nebon, 19 July 2008 - 08:17 PM.

#3 dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,173 posts
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:45 PM

Internet Explorer is an integral part of the operating system and should not be removed. You can disable it as an active part of the system through the Add or Remove Programs under the Add/Remove Windows Components.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:55 PM

Complete removal of Internet Explorer is not possible. Other crucial parts of Windows use files installed by IE. Though you can remove Browser parts of IE. It may feel like you removed the IE browser, but some files would and should be left.

#5 Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,384 posts
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:09 PM

In order to remove IE6 from XP, it would most likely break the shell (explorer.exe) or at the least make it very unstable. When that happens you would lose much of the functionality of XP.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:49 AM

Thanks for the replies.

So I gather I am more right than my friend is.

We have a wager on this ( lunch).

I am going to E-mail him these replies.

He is hard headed though.

If you see a new member on Bleeping Computer begging for help because he tried to remove IE and messed his computer up, please give him a good lecture for doing it. :thumbsup:

Thanks Again !

Dennis :flowers:

Edited by Dennis H, 20 July 2008 - 05:55 AM.

#7 jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:09 AM

This article, if correct, indicates that beginning with V3 and V4, IE became more and more integrated with the OS and was especially important in the functioning of Explorer, Active-X, and Desktop components. However, it appears that V7 is decoupled from the Windows Shell, at least for Vista.
"Removing Internet Explorer does have a number of consequences. Some applications that depend on libraries installed by IE may fail to function, or have unexpected behaviors. Intuit's Quicken is a typical example, which depends heavily upon the HTML rendering components installed by the browser. The Windows help and support system will also not function due to the heavy reliance on HTML help files and components of IE. In versions of Windows before Vista, it is also not possible to run Microsoft's Windows Update or Microsoft Update with any other browser due to the service's implementation of an ActiveX control, which no other browser supports. In Windows Vista, Windows Update is implemented as a Control Panel applet."

Hope this gets you a free lunch.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users