Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Huge .jpeg Files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this question in but here it is, A friend has sent me several pictures of her daughter. They are in JPEG or JPG format and should be something like 20 to thirty Kb in size... However, those little buggers are all over 2.5 Mb in size.

I received them through Yahoo Mail, and according to Yahoo's virus checker they are clean. My virus checker said that they were clean too.

My questions are ---> Why are those .JPG files so large, and is there anything I can do to take them apart to hunt for hidden data?

Thanks for any insight into this.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:06 PM

Hi, Wendy :thumbsup:.

When a user takes digital photos, they are (typically) quite large in original form.

A couple of days ago, I extracted 4 or 5 photos directly from my little digital camera and emailed them...total email was over 13MB. I knew they would be that large without my running them through a graphics editor and reducing them in size (which is what should be done when emailing graphics).

If you don't have a graphics editor installed, there are various free programs that you can use to reduce the size of the graphic...I don't use any of them (since I Ulead PhotoImpact installed) but wait for someone to provide some input as to what programs others have experience with.

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multime...aphics_Editors/

I also see where you can resize by using MS Paint, http://askville.amazon.com/resize-digital-...uestId=10314399

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 July 2008 - 06:18 PM.

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:48 PM

Hi hamluis,

Thanks for the input. Shoot, I've downloaded a gang of stuff from my Digital Camera and I've never had any of my photos come out that big.

I guess I'll download one of those buggers and give it a go with either MS Paint or PhotoImpressions and see if I can get them shrunk down a little.

I'll also take a look at those links that you provided too.

Thanks again :thumbsup: ,

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:18 PM

You are very welcome :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 Nebon

Nebon

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:24 PM

I've never had any of my photos come out that big

I have seen several like that. Usually they are around 2000 by 2000 pixels, even larger usually depending on the amount of mega pixels of the camera. For example by 6 mega pixel camera takes photos that are 2186 x 2112. This would mean 5,947,392 pixels or 6 mega(million) pixels.

#6 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:31 PM

Hi Nebon,

Thanks for the input, and yeah, that was kind of what those little buggers were. I mean those suckers were so large that I had to scroll up, down, and across to be able to view the whole pic.

But not to worry I got them re-sized to a more human size, so I'm happy now.

Thanks again,

Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users