Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Recovery On Lost Ntfs Drive/partition?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Andy S

Andy S

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:12 PM

Hi guys,

Been doing my best to sort out a troublesome PC, and this forum kept coming up when googling, so thought you guys might be able to help out! Up for a challenge?

I have made some attempt myself using tutorials, but can't help but think I should have posted first... Anyway, what's done is done...

Setup: Win XP Pro (SP2) with three logical drives:
Physical Disk 1 (200GB SATA - NTFS): Logical Drive C: and D: (C: containing Windows)
Physical Disk 2 (IDE - FAT32 converted to NTFS): Logical F:
Physical Disk 3: (300GB SATA - NTFS) Logical G:

Long story short - some bad (new) RAM was causing my screen to BSOD and restart. Before I could properly diagnose that (it killed an audio driver, which continued the BSODs even after the RAM was removed), a BSOD restart killed one of my hard drives - G (Physical Disk 3). Windows would not boot with it plugged in (moaned about hal.dll missing, even though it's not the Windows drive - booted fine without it plugged in!), and from Windows Recovery Console it was dismissed as having "Unrecoverable Errors" when trying to DIR or CHKDSK.

On advice, I tried 'bootfix', which made it an empty 10GB drive, FAT format. :thumbsup:

Loaded up TestDisk from the UBCD, which claimed it had one 'Linux' partition. I followed a tutorial to scan it in forced NTSC mode, but it came up with nothing.

I then used ADRC Data Recovery to write an NTFC boot sector, but all that did was make the drive unreadable.

Then used a couple of scanning tools ('PC Inspector File Recovery' and 'NTFS Data Recovery (demo)'), neither of which reckoned there were any files. However, there was some moaning about the number of heads being 240 instead of 255 (which I don't understand, so haven't messed with).

Nothing I have done has written to the disk since the crash, other than the attempted re-write of the boot sector. I do not need 100% data recovery, but there are some irreplaceable files in amongst those inaccessible 1s and 0s that I would really, REALLY like to recover.

So, any ideas here? I can't help but feel it might be a 'challenge', as they say...

All advice appreciated.

~Andy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:27 AM

Each time that you access the disk (even during bootup) the chances of losing your data increase. So limit your disk accesses as much as possible.

A data recovery program attempts to check the structure of the disk and see if it can find anything that it recognizes as files.
Since you've already performed some of the tests that we'd recommend, I'd have to suggest that you consult a commercial firm that specializes in this sort of thing (and they are expensive!).

Other things to try would be the NTFS GetDataBack tool from http://www.runtime.org
It allows you to scan the drive (for free) to see if anything is recoverable, then you'll have to pay to do the actual recovery (about $80 US the last time I checked)

Others here have recommended a free tool called Recuva, and other free tools may also be listed here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Andy S

Andy S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:32 AM

Thanks John,

The data I'm interested in will be about 30GB of the 300GB lost, and I'm fully prepared to not get all of that back, so miracles aren't expected.

Unless I'm actually trying to get some data back, I'm leaving the drive physically unplugged to prevent any further loss. I will give a pro firm a ring and see what they say.

Cheers for the advice!

~A

#4 Andy S

Andy S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:34 PM

Other things to try would be the NTFS GetDataBack tool from http://www.runtime.org
It allows you to scan the drive (for free) to see if anything is recoverable, then you'll have to pay to do the actual recovery (about $80 US the last time I checked)

Worth every cent!
It only went and worked, didn't it? Thank you so much for the recommendation. All the data I wanted has copied back - and is currently in the process of being backed up! :flowers:

Very impressed, and very VERY happy! :thumbsup:

~A

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:38 PM

I'm glad that it worked for you. I like the software so much that I bought both the NTFS and FAT32 versions. Luckily I haven't had to use them for quite some time now!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:09 PM

Nice link, John :thumbsup:.

I thought about buying but I have Quetek's File Scavenger (and haven't needed it in a few years), but I'm adding your link to my list for those who might need such.

Thanks!

Louis

#7 amosis

amosis

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:33 AM

Each time that you access the disk (even during bootup) the chances of losing your data increase. So limit your disk accesses as much as possible.

A data recovery program attempts to check the structure of the disk and see if it can find anything that it recognizes as files.
Since you've already performed some of the tests that we'd recommend, I'd have to suggest that you consult a commercial firm that specializes in this sort of thing (and they are expensive!).

Others here have recommended a free tool called Recuva, and other free tools may also be listed here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

I downloaded the Recuva and have recovered all of my images and videos. Thanks So Much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users