Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Could Someone Advise Me,

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Petrena

Petrena

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 04:10 PM

I am operating a Windows Home XP system.

I have tried to be sensible and hopefully get a good antivirus, so I have installed Norton Internet Security, and I have regulary done the updates, and everything seemed fine until about a month ago. Norton keeps telling me that I have a trogen called It starts by calling the trogen Generic 118, and it was first discovered, in June, it tells me to go to the online security page and it tells me this

Packed.Generic.117 is a heuristic detection for files that may have been obfuscated or encrypted to conceal them from antivirus software.

It also tells me to disable my restore on my computer, and to run its intellegent update, it then tells me to press the ctrl, alt and delete buttons, to open the processes window, and to delete a file called svchost.exc file, the trouble is that there are are 5 files which are as follows

1 svchost.exc which says its a system file which is 512k
2 svchost.exc which says it is a local service which is 8,120k
3 svchost.exc which says it is another system file which is 22,084k
4 svchost.exc which says it is a Network Service file, which is 5,724k
5 svchost.exc which says it is another system file which is 1,940k

I follow the instuctions, however I only get as far as deleting the first 3 files, and then whole computer goes to reboot, and the files seemed to be restored. No matter how hard I try to get rid of this, it doesn't want to go anywhere, and Norton seems to keep telling me its there, however one minute Norton is telling me this is a high risk and next its telling me its a low risk, I just can't understand what is going on.

Please could someone advise me what to do.

Thank you for your consideration.

Take care
Petrena

Edited by Petrena, 19 July 2008 - 04:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:54 PM

Hello Petrena and welcome to BC :thumbsup:

Did Norton provide a File Path for the file in question?

Example: C:\WINDOWS\assembly\IEHost in which IEHost is a file, assembly is a folder, WINDOWS is a folder, and C is the disc the folder is on.

Multiple instances of SVCHOST is normal. Heuristic analysis can generate false positives. This means that a file is flagged as having an infection when in fact it is clean. When this happens, we get additional opinions on the file in question. That is why we need to know if Norton provided a file path.

Also, if you haven't done so already, please turn System Restore back on. Here at Bleeping Computer - unlike Symantec, we usually recommend that System Restore stays on until the computer is disinfected, at which point we flush the restore points.

Please let us know if you have the file path, and we will provide directions for getting the second opinion.

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users