Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

England Educationial System

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 imatechie

imatechie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:10 AM

I believe that a majority of people here are in the UK, so if anyone is familiar with the educational system (preferably London), could someone give an explanation of what is basically learned in each grade. I do believe that it is more advanced than here in the states as I have a young friend from London (I think he's 10 or 11 now) who helped me with my college algebra, although I passed, I still haven't figured out why x squared hit y because y cubed z. :thumbsup:

One last request since most of the people I meet from London talk extremely fast (OK, maybe we in the states just listen very slowly), please type your reply slowly as I am not a fast reader. Just kidding.

Thanks,

Jeff
The only real problem that I have with being an I.T. Tech is that I can't use the excuse:
"Sorry, I don't do windows."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:07 PM

Caution: Politically Incorrect Content

I am sure this is going to p*ss a whole bunch of people off, but I am going to say it anyways, simply because it is the truth.

The problems with the educational "system" in the U.S., as well as the social ills which plague its society, are a direct result of Liberals being allowed to run rampant and unchecked through that society for several decades. From the dissolution of the American family to the redefinition of marriage, all of American society's problems are the result the Left being given free reign.

Probably the most damaging idea promoted by the Left for the last forty years or so is that one should not be held responsible for one's own actions, that such responsibility is that of government. Our basic individual freedoms are restricted or taken from us at an ever-increasing pace, yet people are too self-absorbed to even notice. Or they are convinced that the lie that it is "for their own good" is truth.

When the collapse comes, I shall sit atop a nearby mountain, laughing as I watch the cities burn.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled politically correct content.

#3 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:31 PM

No idea what is taught in what grade as it has changed since I was at school. I learned the basics of algebra when I was 12, but this was very simple stuff: 2x=10. Find x. Stuff like that. Not taught it taught until I was 14.

The educational system in the UK is no great shakes. The kid who helped you imatechie is probably gifted.

One of the problems I think is that children are taught too young. In some European countries kids learn to co-operate with each other at the beginning. Only from the age of about seven do they begin academic learning. This has proved to be a very effective way of teaching.

#4 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:42 AM

In some European countries kids learn to co-operate with each other at the beginning. Only from the age of about seven do they begin academic learning. This has proved to be a very effective way of teaching.

That sounds like a sensible way to address education, at least in the early years. The kids that grasp the material easily would be more inclined to help those that were struggling. School should be a process of learning, rather than a competition for grades. A grading system is still quite important, but with kids learning in a cooperative manner, rather than a competitive one, the average number of high grades would probably increase.

#5 jacktro

jacktro

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:08 PM

I believe the u.k. and u.s. education standards are pretty much the same,only in the u.s. a higher % are encouraged to push themselfs towards a higher education(college degree).

Living in the nederlands,i also see that dutch kids are far more comfortable just communicating at a younger age than kids from the u.k. Put a kid in front of a group of older people and they are more likely to get all shy and freeze up,kids in holland just talk for days!!!this i think comes from learning to interact with others at a young age and also being educated in other language's much earlier(primary school) than kids in the u.k. and probably also the u.s.
Us english speaking nations put very little importance on foreign language's with in my opinion does nothing but holds us back.

On the other hand dutch schools have also major problems in their education system.....at 14 dutch kids are expected to choose and go in to a school that reflects their education level and career ambitions.
I have a friends whose child has chosen to go into a "Horeca" school ( horeca is the food and drink industry) because her parents work in that field.I found it hard to find out about this system but from what i gather once your choose and enter this kind of school your stuck in it,i find it to be a rather stupid system and even more stupid they have such special schools that cater for such a career.
And how at 14 you are supposed to make a life changing choice like that is beyond me,suppose your a "late bloomer" and at 15/16 you decide you would rather be a lawyer and not a barman.....your stuffed :thumbsup:

thx proffesor Jacktro

Edited by jacktro, 20 July 2008 - 08:11 PM.

1st. rule of combat "send in the WIFE".....2nd rule of combat "rule 1 applies to ALL situations"

#6 imatechie

imatechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:52 PM

I know what you mean by kids zipping up in front of older people, however, I must be an exception because although I am one of those older people, I get along way better with the younger generation than I do with people my age. For example. I could roommate with a college student (even a party animal) better than a person my age who has a decent job.

Also most of the young kids think I'm cool (well, at least until I threaten to translate their slang for their parents. :thumbsup: )

It also may be because mentally I'm still a kid and refuse to grow up.

Who knows?

Jeff
The only real problem that I have with being an I.T. Tech is that I can't use the excuse:
"Sorry, I don't do windows."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users