Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp I Want To Disable Most Feaures On The Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Still_Learning

Still_Learning

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:34 AM

(im currenlty running this porject for both windows xp and vista)

pretty much i want to be the Admin of a computer and i want the non admin accounts to only be able to surf the web and use ms word. i don't care what they do online or what they use ms word for. i just want to make sure my younger siblings cant change the registry files by downloading some crazy virus or free ring tones garbage. im forced to fix the computer at least one a month. i just want to make our computer like the ones in high schools where you cant do anything bu surf the web and type. i definienlty dont want them installing. changin things in the registry or delted needed files i want to hide the program files and the win32 and all that.

thanks!

EDIT

with window vista's and xp's basic "limited users" it blocked both uninstaling programs and installing. Great. now all i need to do is figure out how to prevent regesrty acces by anything (because the computer is already setup for the needs of the family ms word, firefox, nero etc etc)

Edited by Still_Learning, 19 July 2008 - 03:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:19 AM

Hello Still_Learning and welcome.

Have you tried http://www.sandboxie.com/
Also making a virtual operating system using http://www.virtualbox.org/ its very easy and if they break it you can just delete the virtual drive or replace it with a backup.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Still_Learning

Still_Learning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 12:17 AM

Hello Still_Learning and welcome.

Have you tried http://www.sandboxie.com/
Also making a virtual operating system using http://www.virtualbox.org/ its very easy and if they break it you can just delete the virtual drive or replace it with a backup.

well i tried them both looks like sandboxie really slows things down and deep freeze or is it cold freeze i forget which wont let you save research papers unless its to an external device or the thawed partition

which brings me to my next question if im the Admin of the computer and other people cant install or uninstall programs shouldnt i be safe? no body can install anythign unless its me and i know what im doing. or can a virus still get in on a limited account and install toolbars and the such...?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:15 AM

Just to relate my experiences with my teenagers. I've used limited accounts, service and IP address blocking on my router, "nanny-ware" to prevent them from visiting bad places, restrictive policies in IE, numerous anti-everything programs. Despite all of that, they still managed to get infected. The last time I checked, my oldest boy had over 700 infections on his system (needless to say, I won't allow it to connect to my home network).

So, the wife let him use the Guest account on her old system for schoolwork (and they've gotten a bit more responsible as they got older). Yesterday I looked at it and AVG was corrupted and couldn't be repaired or uninstalled. Rather than check everything out, I just took the computer away, reformatted it, and installed it as another workstation at the wife's office.

The bad guys (and people who cater to younger users) have ways around this - so you'll find that there's stuff on the system that you don't want.

Now that my boys are older, I've only got one rule for them ... If my network starts getting attacked by foreign IP addresses on a regular basis, they're cut off from the internet. I continually monitor the activity on my network, and will give internet access back when the attacks subside and a suitable period of time has passed (several months).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users