Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Won't Display Anything After Cpu Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 majinbejitto

majinbejitto

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:37 AM

Hi, I bought and installed an Athlon 64 3800+ X2 to my computer a couple of days ago to replace my 3500+. The motherboard is Asus A8V-E SE, and it says everywhere including the manual that it supports dual cores.

Well, when I press the power button, it powers on, but there is no display and the CPU fan just spins full speed and the hard drives sound like they're not doing any work. My case speaker caught on fire for some strange reason many years ago and I pulled it out so I don't know if it's supposed to be making beeps. I figured it might not be displaying anything because my previous CPU was already overclocked a bit so I took out the battery (then put it back in) and used the reset CMOS jumpers too, but the problem stayed. I unplugged all hard drives, DVD burners, PCI devices, USB devices, still nothing. I reseated my 7800GT, and made sure the 6-pin connector was in it. I even got a new power supply. This has got me completely stumped. Any ideas before I attempt to reseat the CPU?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:08 AM

Hello majinbejitto,

Do you have a replacement monitor you could try?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 majinbejitto

majinbejitto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:09 AM

Yeah I got a CRT but it didn't display anything on it either.

Good news though, it turns out the CPU wasn't installed properly, because when I took out the heatsink, the CPU was stuck on it and went out the socket with it, so that was a good indication that it wasn't in properly. It's running fine now except for the fact that it reaches 62C under load. I guess I better lap the heatsink.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:43 PM

Thats good news, http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/...peratures.shtml is a good list of processors ant their temperatures.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users