Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Remove Old Java With Revo

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 A-K

A-K

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:50 PM

Hello everyone :thumbsup:

This is my first post so please bear with me. I'm also still a bit of a novice with computers but I will try to explain my problem correctly. Here goes:

I'm in the middle of using Revo to uninstall several old versions of Java. I started with the earliest version listed in Add/Remove programs, which is, Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v 1.4.2_03.

Revo did the usual uninstall fine and then went through the PC finding all the leftover files. Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, the Java Runtime Environment file (folder-?), lists various versions from 1.5.0_04 to the current one, 1.6.0_07.

There isn't a version corresponding with the one I started with, 1.4.2_03.

Part of my question is: Is it ok for me to select the old versions for removal by Revo, even though I started trying to remove v. 1.4.2_03 ? Or should I do them individually, working my way through those listed in Add/Remove programs?

The same applies to Java Runtime Environment under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, but something else has confused me here:

When I click on and expand any of the versions listed here, it shows related files, i.e., select v. 1.6.0_01 and it shows other files relating to that version.

However, both versions 1.4 and 1.6 list files related to the current version 1.6.0_07 (which also has its own entry), and all the listed files are identical to each other. Which of the three versions do I select for removal, or should I leave them all?

Maybe it would just be simpler to remove all trace of Java and then re-install the latest version.

I hope I've managed to explain myself ok.

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be very much appreciated, as this is driving me nuts? :flowers:

Many thanks in advance,

A-K

Edited by jgweed, 19 July 2008 - 08:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:02 AM

Hello A-K and welcome.

Removing entries from the registry can be dangerous. While revo is a great tool, I would use the add/remove function in control panel. It is true that you only need the latest Java runtime which is version 6 update 7. Once the other Java runtimes have been uninstalled you can just install the latest from http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp
Regards,

Alan.

#3 A-K

A-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:15 AM

Hi Nigglesnush,

Ooops! I've already removed two other programs with Revo.

Double Ooops! I'm half way through removing the first Java version with Revo. Thankfully, I've not removed anything from the registry yet, so I'll just abort it and go down the Add/Remove programs route.

I did think Revo somehow used the Add/Remove facility as it's first step in uninstalling anything. Is it the programs' own uninstall that Revo uses?

Just one more thing, I think: Should I remove the latest Java version aswell, and then start afresh by downloading it again?

Many thanks for your answer, hopefully you got to me just in time, and I've not already sabotaged my PC.

Thankyou!

A-K

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:42 AM

No problem, I believe that Revo will use the applications uninstaller then goes through the registry removing entries associated with the program. You can uninstall them all then install the latest.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 A-K

A-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:53 PM

Update: I removed all old versions of Java via Add/Remove progs, but I ended up leaving the current version on.

Out of curiosity I then checked the registry, and all the old Java files were still there. I'm assuming this is normal, but wondered if there is a safe way (other than Revo), to remove them? Does having lots of left-over registry files affect the function of the PC in any way?

My original intention was to clean up the PC as much as poss, in the hope of getting better performance. Lately it's been on the slow side & it hangs on certain pages. Internet Explorer keeps 'encountering a problem' and closing, but I think that's a flash issue, which is the next problem I'll be attempting to solve.

Anyway, thanks Nigglesnush, for your help, and if you've any further advice on those left-over registry items, it will be very much appreciated.

Thanks again,

A-K

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 03:54 AM

I would say that the leftover entries are perfectly normal. If you want to speed up the system, there is some good information on these two links
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/13500/windows-xp-tweak-guide/

Having leftover registry files shouldn't cause functionality problems. The registry can be a delicate place, it is advised that it is backed up regularly.
Backup Your Registry with ERUNT
  • Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERDNT.exe
Regards,

Alan.

#7 A-K

A-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:45 PM

Thankyou again, Nigglesnush.

I'll check out the links you posted and let you know how I get on.

I'd love to get stuck into it now, but unfortunately I just haven't got the time. I've never backed up the computer (shameful, I know), so it'll probably take me a while to get to grips with the task at hand.

Oh, and I feel more relaxed about those registry files now, so I can forget about them - thanks for that, too. :thumbsup:

Kind Regards,

A-K

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:07 AM

No problem, glad to help. Let us know if you run into any problems.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 A-K

A-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 07:11 PM

Hi again, I'm not sure if I should continue with this thread, or post again - it having been a while since my last post (sorry about that, time just wasn't on my side), but I'll stick with this one for now and see what happens.

I tried the links you gave me for tips on speeding up my computer, and they suggest that I run my anti-virus and anti-spyware programs in Safe Mode.

I tried and tried but just could not get in to Safe Mode at all. I know it's possible, or was possible, because I did it some time last year. I ran all the scans anyway, in normal mode, which all came up clear.

I've also recently used the Disk Cleanup utility and defragged the computer.

Although the speed of the computer has gotten a little better, it seems that the longer I use it for the slower it gets. The error reports are still saying that there is a problem with "flash" (after 'Internet Explorer has had to close'), and I am now getting a message saying "no memory". I will make two new posts for these problems, but regarding my first problem:

Do you have any tips or tricks for getting in to Safe Mode?

Many thanks,

A-K

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:06 PM

Do you have any tips or tricks for getting in to Safe Mode?

Suggestions here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 A-K

A-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for the link, garmanma, although that was the one I was following, via the link from nigglesnush.

I don't feel confident enough to use what seems to be 'the final straw way', the System Configuration Tool Method, as I'm still fairly new to all this.

I'm hoping that because all the scans came up clear, that they wouldn't have found much (if anything), after running in Safe Mode anyway (though I know this probably wouldn't be the case).

I'll keep trying with the F8 method, and if nothing happens then I'll just move on to my next problem.

Thanks again for your response,

Kind Regards,

A-K

#12 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:34 PM

you could try bootsafe http://www.superadblocker.com/bootsafe.html
Regards,

Alan.

#13 A-K

A-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:24 PM

Sorry for the delay again, nigglesnush85, other problems keep cropping up with this PC. I feel like I'm trying to do ten things at once, and not getting anywhere with any of them.

Re: the link you posted for BootSafe. Thanks, by the way.

At first, I thought this was the perfect solution for me, but then I came across a topic on Bleeping Computer that made me think it may not be suitable for my particular problem after all.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to post a link to the topic, or find a topic number/ID for it.

However, its title is: Superantipyware And 'bootsafe' Option ; Unsafe?, clarification requested please,

and it is in the following area of the forum: Security > AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods.

Posts numbered 3 & 5, dated April 7th 2008, are the ones I'm referring to.

I'm probably being over-cautious, but I'll briefly outline my concerns. If I get my facts wrong, I apologise in advance; but please bear in mind I'm a novice and am just going off what I've read/learnt during the past week or so. Thanks.

If you can't boot into Safe Mode using the usual F8 method, there is another way to get into Safe Mode called the System Configuration Tool Method, whereby you check the Safeboot option on the BOOT.INI tab in msconfig.

If you use this method because you are having problems booting into Safe Mode via F8, then you are forcing your machine into Safe Mode.

If the reason you can't get into Safe Mode using F8 is because the machine is infected by a type of malware that prevents you from doing so, then under this circumstance, forcing it via msconfig can make the machine inoperable.

It does this by making changes, incl one to your BOOT.INI file, that makes the machine continuously boot into Safe Mode, thus preventing you from getting to back to msconfig to uncheck the Safeboot option. (For a full explanation, and solution, please see BC's tutorial, 'How to Start Windows in Safe Mode')

From what I've read about the BootSafe program, it works in a similar way to the msconfig option, therefore making it possible to fall foul of the same problem.

My obvious concern is that I don't know, and have no way of finding out, if my computer is infected with whatever type of malware it is that causes this. So if I 'force' my machine into Safe Mode, with either msconfig or BootSafe, I'm running the risk of it becoming inoperable.

One of the two posts that I have mentioned above, has this to say: "I have read that the next version of BootSafe to be included in SUPERAntispyware will automatically undo the safe mode option once you boot to safe mode so that when you reboot again, you are back to normal mode". This, I think, would be the ideal solution for me, but as yet I haven't been able to find anything out about the next version of BootSafe.

Until I do, I guess I'll just keep trying with F8. That said, I'm sure something is missing from the initial start up procedure - it seems a little different somehow. Something else for me to look into!!

Many thanks,

A-K

#14 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:24 AM

That is a good point, I have never seen this type of malware before. If you think your system might be infected I would advise you follow the preperation for hosting a hijackthis log http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Regards,

Alan.

#15 A-K

A-K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:37 AM

Thanks, nigglesnush85, I'll do that.

Something else for me to learn - it's like a full time job trying to keep these computer things running smoothly! :thumbsup:

A-K

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users