Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wow 2008 Enhanced Cd (bmg)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 imatechie

imatechie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:22 PM

I really don't know where to post this at but since it is a question about a CD and that is audio I'll ask it here, mods can move it if needed.

I have (somewhere) a WOW 2008 CD by BMG which is enhanced. I have autoplay shut off on all CD drives (thankfully), the funny thing is that none of the music listed in the directory (although listed as .cda files) would not play directly from the CD, there was a readme.txt file that said that you need to install the enhanced music player to play these files and see extra hidden features (like videos, etc.), I never installed the player (I am thinking they may be back in the rootkit business again), the funny thing was that I was able to import all the tracks into my jukebox (Rhapsody) player and all the songs work fine and play through the player and they are flagged as imported, which is good.

After what Sony/BMG did in 2005, when I see "install program to play files and view hidden features" and they call it an enhanced CD in 2008, it makes me nervous. BTW, the CD plays fine in a normal cd/dvd player.

One more thing, just for kicks I burned a music CD of the imported songs and they played fine from the CD.

It's making me think that Sony/BMG is up to no good again.

Any ideas or opinions?

Thanks,
JB
The only real problem that I have with being an I.T. Tech is that I can't use the excuse:
"Sorry, I don't do windows."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 04:54 AM

They could well be, however it would be an unusual move after last time. As I recall they were fined heavily and lost the trust of their customers not to mention a reputation hit that they are still working to fix.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users