Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help! Reinstall Xp W/ External Monitor?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LukeOR

LukeOR

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:40 PM

I have a dell laptop that had the screen smashed. I have set it up to work with an old external monitor. However, kids have destroyed the os (meaning screwed things up beyond my capabilities also its bogged down w/ malware). My question is, "Can I reinstall the OS blind?", I have reinstalled XP several times before on other computers. The actual screen on the laptop is not totally destroyed, as I can still see about a 1/4 of the screen (top left corner). I think it would be possible but I want other opinions before I proceed. Thank You in advance for any support and your help is greatly appreciated. **Removed email address**

Edited by usasma, 19 July 2008 - 06:31 AM.
Removed email address

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:07 PM

I think yes, it can be installed. You can walk through setup using external monitor.

#3 LukeOR

LukeOR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:10 AM

I don't think the external will work without (and I'm guessing, hot key, or other drivers) working, I'm more scared of an option coming up during initial installation that would prevent me from continuing. Remember only the top right portion of laptop screen is visible.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:34 AM

If you're doing a full install (rather than a repair install) you've got nothing to lose by giving this a try. It'll work as long as you can get to the stage (on the external monitor) where it asks you where to install XP. And, at that point, you'll be erasing the old information - so it won't matter if it doesn't go past that.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Maximillian

Maximillian

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:20 AM

Hello

Plug the external monitor in and then start the system. Hit the pause button while in the POST screen or enter the bios. Then using the hotkey on the laptop, try to switch to the external monitor. If that works, then you can install XP using the external monitor. In theory, the external monitor port is supposed to work even in DOS.

Take care,
Max

#6 LukeOR

LukeOR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:22 AM

Well, I screwed up big, upon trying to reinstall, I lost external monitor, still seeing a small portion of the screen I tried to parttition, reinstall, blind.... I thought I had it but an hour later I ended up with three partitions drives C,E,F. And now I cannot finish driver installs and I have no external monitor. I think I might try another blind install but other than that I have no ideas. CAN ANYONE HELP! Thanx

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,382 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:51 AM

I guess that I don't know what you mean when you assert that you've lost an external monitor.

On the laptops that I've had and used an external monitor with...the monitor automatically takes over at boot, same as the laptop display would do if it were functional and being used.

Does the system not boot? If it does, you should have a screen display on the monitor (if properly connected).

Unless your laptop video chip is not working properly...

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2008 - 08:52 AM.

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:52 PM

All the laptops I have used, dont need special setting for external monitor. Juts plug in the cable and supply power and all thats on laptop screen is on the external monitor.

Try checking the cable connections.

#9 LukeOR

LukeOR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:35 PM

Sorry for the way I had explained it, however "ALL IS FIXED!" The problem was that I was trying the wrong set of hot keys for the external monitor. After I had tried everything and about ready to kick the thing across the room, I happen to notice on the keyboard the combo hotkeys "fn" and "CRT/LCD". Man, I tell ya, I guy really feels like an idiot when it turns out it was so easy. Any hoot I appreciate all the help. There still are a few cool people out there. Later...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users