Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Drives Won't Power Up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kanye

Kanye

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 06:58 PM

Specs:

eTower 633irx
Intel Celeron 633mhz processor
128mb of RAM
20GB hard drive
CD-RW drive, CD Drive, floppy drive

That's really all I know about it before it hasn't booted up since I got it. It's used and it was given to me by a friend as a temporary replacement for my broken real computer. I know it's old and bad but I need a computer at the moment. It doesn't have an OS installed and I can't install one because neither of the two CD drives boot up. Neither does the floppy drive. I'm guessing something is wrong with the power supply, but it's the one that originally came with the system. I get the eTower logo when I boot, then it says there's no OS installed and it gets stuck there and I obviously can't install one without opening the CD drive. The processor fan starts up and the power supply fan starts up, so I don't see why the drives don't. The power cables are tightly connected as well as the IDE cables but the orange/green light on the drives don't even turn on for a split second. Even tried replacing the drives but the replacements don't power up either, so now I know it's something with the power or motherboard that is wrong and not with the hardware itself. And please, don't simply say "Just get a better computer, this one is trash". It's only temporary and I'm in need of a computer right now. Thanks for any help I may recieve.

- Kanye

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

Press the "Delete" key when you see the Emachine logo to enter the BIOS settings.
From there you should be able to see if the drives are being detected and/or reset the BIOS
to the system default settings.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:45 PM

Sounds like power supply is broken. Even if some drives are disabled by BIOS, the CD tray should open when the CD drive is supplied power. Make sure power cables are connected properly. There are four wires in power cables of IDE drives, middle two are ground and rest two are 5V and 12V. If you have multimeter you can check if voltage is coming.

#4 Kanye

Kanye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:43 PM

Update: Turns out when I replaced the IDE cables, they work only individually, not at the same time. When I take out both IDE cables, the power comes on for both of them. Also, the hard drive also does the same thing. They work when it is just the power cable plugged in. When I plug in their IDE cables, they don't start up. I'll try the BIOS thing as well.

#5 Kanye

Kanye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:30 AM

The problem is still occuring.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:42 AM

Are the jumpers for all of the drives set correctly? Master for the drives at the end of the cable, and Slave for the center connectors
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Kanye

Kanye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:52 PM

Press the "Delete" key when you see the Emachine logo to enter the BIOS settings.
From there you should be able to see if the drives are being detected and/or reset the BIOS
to the system default settings.

I checked the BIOS and for Primary Slave it says "None" and same for Primary master. For Secondary slave and master it says "ATAPI CD-ROM Drive" for both. But the wierd thing is that it doesn't even have 4 IDE slots on the motherboard, just 2, so I don't see how I can have 4 slaves/masters when I can only plug in 2 pieces of hardware. Although one of my IDE cables, the one connecting the two CD drives does have 3 connectors so it can go from hardware to hardware to motherboard, but even then I don't see how I can have 4.

Are the jumpers for all of the drives set correctly? Master for the drives at the end of the cable, and Slave for the center connectors

I'm not sure what you mean, expand please.

This whole thing is confusing. I disconnect some things and the power works, I connect different things and sometimes it doesn't, I switch connectors and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't depending on the combination. I don't need to have 2 CD-drives, so if anybody has a way I can get only one to work I'm fine with that. I just can't get the hard drive and a CD drive to power up and work with an IDE cable at the same time. I got the CD drive to do it and I got the hard drive to power up, but I couldn't get the hard drive to work with the IDE cable so I couldn't install an OS. I'm confused and lost.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:55 PM

I'm assuming that we are talking about IDE drives here. Flat ribbon cables about 2" wide? One connector on the motherboard should be labeled "0" and the second one "1" The hard drives should be on connector "0" and the optical drives on "1". The flat ribbon cable plugs into the motherboard. The other end has 2 plugs. The one in the middle position is called the slave. The one at the end is called the master. At the back of the drives next to the cable and power plugs, you will see an opening with a series of pins :::: Depending on the position it's in, it will be determined by where a small plastic jumper is place connecting 2 of the pins. There is usually a diagram stamped on top of the drive showing the position. The hard drive with the operating system on it needs to be master
Picture of Western Digital drive

Edited by garmanma, 22 July 2008 - 06:56 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#9 Kanye

Kanye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:09 PM

I finally got it to work! Hard drive is the primary master, two CD drives are the secondary master/slave. I took out all the cables and completely dismantled it all and then re-assembled them and for some odd reason it worked. I've installed XP and I'm up and running. Thanks to all who have helped.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

Glad you sorted it out
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users