Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mozilla Firefox Is Running Slow

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:52 PM

Hi Guys, Can anybody tell me why my Windows Home XP SP2 with I.E. 7.0 and Firefox 2.0 acting up ? In particular when I am using Firefox as my browser it is slow opening up desktop programs,sometimes I will be working and it will not even respond when I click on something or the hourglass comes up and just sits there.Very often when I click on something with my mouse I get a donk,donk, sound.I know it sounds crazy.I.E. 7.0 on my Desktop is opening 5-7 times as fast as Firefox.When I first started using Fiefox 2.0 it was faster than I.E. 7.0 Often I will go into add/remove programs and click on add/remove windows componets and uncheck I.E. so it is partially deactivated at least.This week I have probably mran three ewido spyware scans and removed 180-190 infections.This seems unusually high.I am using P C Security shield 2008deluxe edition and frequently it gives me a popup sayind such and such is password protected.I do not know why.It never use to do this.I have kept the disc cleanup 3-4 times weekly,defragemented every week and ran my Privacy Defender 4.0 3-4 times.Only thing I am getting is the alexa toolbar I think it is.I have kept it temoved,kept the Privacy Defender 4.0 updated.I have even tried speeditup for free the unpaid version.It does not seem to be helping.Yesterday I downloaded the new Firefox 3. ?? browser but some of my feautures would not work with it.So I went back to 2.0 I ran 2.0.0.14 a long time with no problem.I tried to do a disk defrag. by going to My Computer opening uo Local disc c and right clicking on properties.I check the attempt to recover bad sectors box and it only made it through phase one then it said the disc check could not be performed.It used to always let me do that.I tried going to Firefox opening it to my homepage,typing in about:config and I found the network.pipeline and could not change it to false it was already set on false.The donking sound sounds like a long time ago when a popup would be blocked and it gave that audible donk noise.Folks I know this is a lot to chew on but would be most greatful for any help,ideas,suggestions,etc any of you XP Home SP2 users have.I am at a loss with myself.Never had such unresposiveness and Firefox opening so slow from desktop.A few times Firefox has literally froze up and shut itself down saying there is a problem Firefox must ... you know the rest.Help me if you can ! May God Bless All Of You ! Sincerely,Hearbeat85 P.S. Is there any other way to do a disc check.Where it has the blue screen and goes through the five steps.I have a lot of problems SOMEWHERE ? :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rolltide101

rolltide101

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:50 AM

the only suggestion i can give you is to reinstall windows u can try downloading tune up utilities on a torrent site it has hard disk check while booting up

#3 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:21 AM

Thanks it's finally doing some better.Do you know of any cleanup utililities ? Thanks, Heartbeat85

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:24 AM

http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=c...5&Itemid=25
http://www.ccleaner.com/download

Two great cleanup tools.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:33 AM

Thanks Alan, I gave it a shot.I'll see how it does .I appreciate it a bunch.I am familiar with C-Cleaner.One must be careful with it.Heartbeat85

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:43 AM

No problem, glad to help.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:46 AM

From what I read, your problem is not with Firefox, but lies somewhere else. It might be that by attempting to uninstall IE (which is a part of the Windows Operating System) you damaged some Windows functionality, and there may be additional infections remaining after getting rid of ton of them.
Considering the number of problems, and their variety, that you describe, it might be best to think about wiping your hard drive clean and reinstalling Windows.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:22 AM

When nothing else works, format and re-install windows :thumbsup:

#9 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:05 PM

Thanks guys I think I have finally gotten it working o.k. Heartbeat85

Edited by Heartbeat85, 19 July 2008 - 02:06 PM.

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:14 PM

No problem, glad to help. Just out of curiosity, what did you do to make it work correctly?
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users