Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fragmented Message Virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BIC

BIC

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:44 PM

Hello, Recently I sent out an email with a Word attachment. It bounced back from the recipient saying that my message was quarantined and had a "fragmentedmessage virus". I tried to send it to 3 other people and same thing, bunch of jumbles and stuff added to the Subject line of the email that I didn't write.

I scanned it with Mcafee and a few other online scanners that I found here, Panda etc, there's a list of them floating around here. They all come back w nothing.

Any idea what "fragmentedmessage virus" means and what I can do about it?

Thank you kindly !!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:31 PM

Hello BIC,

In order to assist you, we need a bit more information.

What is your operating system: Vista, Windows XP, etc.?

How were you sending the e-mail? Were you using webmail or an e-mail client such as Thunderbird, Outlook, etc. If a client, which one?

I'm assuming the "Word" attachment was a document created in MS Word. Is this correct? If so, which version of Word?

Did you try scanning the attachment itself?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 BIC

BIC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:42 AM

Hello Orange Blossom, thanks for your reply but I have discovered the problem. I was trying to send a large file (about 65Mgs), my Outlook wouldn't send it and so I contacted my ISP to ask about it. They took control of my computer and changed a setting where messages >20k are broken up. So when I sent my doc of about 50K in size it was getting broken up; thus the "fragmented message virus". Can't say I'm overly impressed with Microsoft though, don't understand why Exchange can't recognize a setting change from it's own software, and causes all kinds of trouble by calling it a Virus !!!!

Thanks again.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:40 AM

Microsoft Antigen

Antigen provides a variety of reports designed to help administrators analyze the state and performance statistics of the Antigen services through the Administrator interface. The Incidents database (Incidents.mdb) stores all virus and filter detections for a Microsoft Exchange Server, regardless of which scan job caught the infection or performed the filtering.

Chapter 19 - Reporting and statistics overview (scroll down to read about FragmentedMessage).

Edited by quietman7, 29 July 2008 - 11:40 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users