Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scrap.shs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bobang

Bobang

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:14 PM

I made some kind of a mistake in copying a file from My Documents to a folder on my Desktop. The folder shows a scrap file now. I know what this file is and that it contains the data I wanted to copy. I also read the MS KB about it ehich states:

In Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel, you can drag and drop selected document text, drawing objects, and graphics to the Windows desktop. A desktop icon is created for the scrap file, along with a file located in the Windows\Desktop subfolder with an .shs extension. This file is a native program document that contains the information that was selected and dragged onto the Windows desktop. If you select and delete the desktop icon, the corresponding .shs file is also deleted. You can select and drag a scrap file on the desktop into another document.

The problem is that there is no desktop icon. The file is sitting inside a folder on the Desktop. I tried to copy and paste it to the Desktop, but won't do that. I made a new folder on the Desktop and I could paste in there. The problem now is that I can neither delete the new folder nor the scrap file in it and also not the original scrap file in the other folder where I copied it from...

I tried renaming the shscrap.dll in the System 32 Folder, after deleting the file type/s, also tried the DelinvFile.exe, but it still will not give up!

Any other ideas?

Bobang

in all things be men

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:04 PM

If you want to delete the file, try a program called 'Unlocker'

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#3 Bobang

Bobang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:59 AM

A nifty little utility..

Thank you aommaster!

Bobang

in all things be men

#4 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:13 AM

Nifty, indeed :thumbsup:

Glad to know it worked out!

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users