Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quarantine Or Remove?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ebrid001

ebrid001

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:09 AM

I have Windows XP,up to date and 512 RAM.

The re branded f secure that my dsl provides found a piece of spy ware and suggested that I "quarantine" it.

It gave me the option of changing the setting to "remove" it.

Why the distinction? Why wouldn't one "remove" spy stuff?

-----------------------

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:03 PM

The reason there's a quarantine option in most security scanners is to give you a way to fall back if the detection was a false positive. These programs are not fail proof. False positive can and do occur with every one of them. If a legitimate and/or necessary system file gets flagged as a threat and you remove it, there would be no way to get it back easily and could cause a lot of headaches. Hence it is safer to use Quarantine when you can. Set the files aside and purge the quarantine area after a while of using the computer with no problems. If there's a problem, quarantine should give you the option to restore the files to their original path.

Hope that helps you understand.

Regards,
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ebrid001

ebrid001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:13 PM

Galadriel:

Thank you. I get it.

#4 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:24 PM

Glad I was able to help. :thumbsup:

Best regards,
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users