Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer Problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 jagtress

jagtress

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:08 AM

Hey guys :|

Once again my computer that I just bought in the last few months is giving me issues. Orginally I had a problem where the computer was telling me that I didn't have admin permissions to install various programs on my computer. Currently I'm trying to put my version of office xp on it and I am not having success. The problem with admin permissions I fixed of all places in the registry (which is the only thing I did there but at least it worked). When I didn't exactly know what the problem was, there were various places that said your windows installer could be corrupt or something to that effect. AGain following instructions on renaming the old msiexec.exe to msiexec.old seemed to be a good idea. I downloaded the newest version of windows installer on my system and didn't understand why office still failed to install. So randomly while i'm looking at posts from people about the issues they were having, knowing they are case specific and did not do any of them, i found myself completely and utterly confused. The only thing I found that was any use was how to look at the eventviewer which has displayed the windows installer errors :thumbsup: Yay, I feel as though I've advanced somehow but still, I don't know what to do about it. SO, my computer specs are: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4 Ghz, 768 DDR2, 160 SATA HD. It's a refurb. I have Windows Revolution on it (which was installed by someone else thusly I don't have the cd for it)

The event viewer came up with this to say about the windows installer issue: Warning MsiInstaller: Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x80040154
and I also have this for Error in the event system: The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 80040154 from line 44 of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. This may indicate that the COM+ Event System is not properly installed. Please try reinstalling the COM+ Event System.

Let me know if you require anything additionally for information.
Jaggy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:26 AM

<<I have Windows Revolution on it (which was installed by someone else thusly I don't have the cd for it)>>

I may be wrong...but that appears to be an illegal copy of XP to me.

Louis

#3 jagtress

jagtress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 04:52 PM

Hi Louis,

Well if that is true, I'm just going to go back to the XP version that I have because an illegal copy will just add to the hassle and I'm truly sick of constantly needing to fix it since I need it as a business owner.

Otherwise, are there any other known problems? Will that be fixed by just reinstalling?

Thanks again,
Jaggy. :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:51 PM

I don't know enough about Windows XP Revolution...to determine what will "fix" problems that arise with it.

I do know that a clean install of a valid MS XP version (with valid license) is a good start to resolving problems...perhaps you need to contact someone at Microsoft re Windows XP Revolution and any fixes for such.

Louis

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:52 PM

XP Revolution is a Bit Torrent copy of Windows XP which is illegal, and any attempt to make it work here is a violation of the forum rules.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

It you have a valid copy of Windows XP with the product code I would suggest uninstalling the pirated copy and installing the valid version.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users