Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New System Problem.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guthra

Guthra

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:32 AM

Hey, I have just built a new system consisting of the following items:

Maxtor 160GB
Asus AI P5E3
GeForce 9800GX2
OCZ Platinum RAM (2 * 2048 Mb, dual channel)
Intel Q9450
Thermaltake 850W PSU.
CoolerMaster Cosmos S

My problem is, well, first of all, the motherboard keeps on prompting me that it is an unknown CPU, and that it needs update to unleash its 'full power'. Inside the BIOS it can identify the CPU and everything else fine. Once I exit the BIOS and head to the boot screen, sometimes it does not even load the Windows boot logo, or it freezes while loading it.
Other times it gets into Windows, but then freezes after some time. I have tried to load Fail-Safe mode, but that also freezes before it has loaded all the files, and seldom gets to load it all and load the whole system.

Now, seeing as my harddisk is from an older computer, I am thinking that it's complaining due to all the new hardware where it's used to the old stuff. I know harddisks aren't too happy about going into a new PC if they are used to another.
I'm fairly sure there is no overheating going on, as lots of cool air is flying out of the chassis and feeling on the CPU grill only feels lukewarm at best.

The BIOS reports the CPU to be having a temperature around 43-50 degrees C.

I have tried to put in a Windows installation CD, and boot with it, but generally it only gets as far as to the "Windows Setup - Setup is starting Windows" or a step further than that, but never past it.

When the system freezes, it is not possible to use keyboard or mouse.

Does anyone here have any guess as to what the problem might be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:26 AM

Now, seeing as my harddisk is from an older computer,

Did you erase the hard disk or does it still have the OS on it? If it still has the OS on it, that's your problem. It still assumes you have all of the old stuff installed

Edited by garmanma, 18 July 2008 - 10:28 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Guthra

Guthra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:32 AM

Yeah, it still has the Operating System on it. But can that really cause freezes in Fail-Safe and normal mode, as well as the Windows Logo screen?

Like I said, I tried to do a new re-install from booting, but it stops before it gets to the menu where you can say if you want to create a partition and so on. I've ordered a new, clean harddisk, so if it is the harddisk that does it all, it should be fine when I get the new one.

Silly harddisks :thumbsup:.

Edited by Guthra, 18 July 2008 - 10:33 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:23 AM

There are key items that the registry recognizes in the chipset of the motherboard, and when you introduce another motherboard with a different chipset this can confuse the registry, this can be fatal to the operating system.

Is the computer booting from the installation CD at all? If it isn't you may need to go into the BIOS and set the CD-ROM as the first device in the boot order. If it is, try downloading a copy of Active KillDisk and use it to wipe the hdd, you will want the Download KillDisk Suite(Free)v.5.0 -. The site has easy to follow instructions for making the CD and using the application. This should provide you with a fresh platform to work from.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Guthra

Guthra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:42 AM

Oh, I see. Cheers for the help both of you. I'll keep this old fart and use the new one I ordered. Should be here Friday. If it goes bonkers I know where to turn to ;).

Also, I did set the DVD-drives to be booted first, and it did make me go into the installation which either gave me a corrupt file or froze in the loading sequence when it said "Starting Windows". I will see what happens when I get the new hard drive.

I didn't want to cleanse this one because I'd like to keep the stuff on it. I suppose I can make it a SLAVE drive and steal the stuff from it.

Thanks again, both of you!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:13 PM

Setting it up as the slave drive is what I would do as well. It sounds like you have this pretty well in hand. let us know how you fare, and if there is anything we can help you with. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Guthra

Guthra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:31 PM

Well, I have gotten a new harddisk, all clean with nothing on it. I have then proceeded to try and install Windows XP Professional without any luck, as it loads all the devices and so on, and when it gets to "Setup is loading Windows..." it stops responding.
I then tried, during its initializing, to press F5 and select the other method of installation, but to no avail.

So, after playing around with that, I decided to go get Vista Ultimate 64bit, and checked to see if that would do anything, in case of a faulty disc. Needless to say, it gets to "Windows is loading files...", loads the whole bar and then stops responding.

Is there anything I can do to fix that problem so that I may install an operating system?
Like I said, the harddisk is clean with nothing on it. I have also updated my BIOS so that it now recognizes my CPU.

EDIT: I should add as well, that the new harddisk is a SerialATA harddisk. In the BIOS it is configured to work as IDE though, not RAID.

EDIT EDIT: I am thinking it may be the RAM timings, since in the BIOS (which is set to auto) says:

DRAM Timing Control AUTO

1st information: 7-7-7-20-4-60-10-5
2nd information: 8-5-6-5-7-4-7

But my RAM sticks have a search timing of CL7 (7-7-7-24). Can that have anything to do with it? I have read about some people saying that their motherboards gave them odd timings. I should mention that my RAM sticks are Dual Channel and DDR3.

Update: Okay, so I changed the timings and it made the loading bar for the Vista install hang at around 95%, but sometimes it would go load the full and then stop. I then removed one RAM stick and it allowed it to go further and I saw the Microsoft Corporation logo, as well as the moving green bars. When they were loaded it went to a black screen.

Edited by Guthra, 23 July 2008 - 03:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users