Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Attach Files To E-mail

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joquita

joquita

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:22 AM

This is my first time here or any chat. I am pretty much a novice computer user. I hope this is the right forum? My problem is that I cannot attach a file from Microsoft works to my e-mail to send. I recieve an error message that reads "works cannot open "c:\documents and Settings\owner\local settings\temporary Internet Files\content.IE5\0x2RSX0Y\resume[1].wps". The file may be in use by another application, the file format may not be supprted by any of the installed converters, or the file ma be corrupt." O.K. to me this means its not working. Please any help will be appreciated.

[Moderator edit: thread moved to a more appropriate forum. jgw]

Edited by jgweed, 18 July 2008 - 08:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:36 AM

Are you trying to attach the file by using an application such as Outlook Express, or are you doing this by going on-line to your E-mail provider?
Where is the file saved on your computer, and is it open in Works when you try to attach it?
Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 18 July 2008 - 08:38 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 joquita

joquita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:52 AM

I am on-line in my Yahoo and browse to attach file to send. It is in my document in Microsoft word. I have tried to send with Microsoft opended and closed. I can send and recieve in my e-mail just unable to send an attachment located in my documents.

#4 joquita

joquita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:17 AM

Maybe I should add that I have also tried to go to my document and e-mail it to my address, trying to get around this problem. When I hit e-mial and send I get a different error message that reads " The host smtp could not be found. Please verify you have entered the server name correctly Account. 'http' server 'smtp', Protocol SMTP, port: 25, Secure (SSL): No, Socket error: 11001, Error Number 0x800CCC0D. I didn't want to confuse two different issues, but this may be related. I have no idea what this error is asking, so I am at a complete lose. Thank you for any help.

#5 joquita

joquita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:26 PM

If anyone can help me with this problem please reply. I'm new to this and not sure if my other replies have gotten through or if I'm in the right forum. I think I am, but haven't had any response since this morning, so not sure if there is a problem with the procedure on my end. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:46 PM

Maybe I should add that I have also tried to go to my document and e-mail it to my address, trying to get around this problem. When I hit e-mial and send I get a different error message that reads " The host smtp could not be found. Please verify you have entered the server name correctly Account. 'http' server 'smtp', Protocol SMTP, port: 25, Secure (SSL): No, Socket error: 11001, Error Number 0x800CCC0D. I didn't want to confuse two different issues, but this may be related. I have no idea what this error is asking, so I am at a complete lose. Thank you for any help.

The error you get when you use go to the document and try to email is because you don't have an email client set up. An email client (Outlook Express, Outlook, Windows Mail, Thunderbird, etc) is a program that you install on your computer and configure to work with your ISP's mail. Clicking on the mail option of a file won't open up a webpage, which is what web-based mail is.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 July 2008 - 07:47 PM.

#7 joquita

joquita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:10 AM

Thank you Queen-Evie for your response, sorry for my ingnorance.... I really appreciated the feedback. Can I download this from the internet and is there any free programs to do so. I'll be waiting on a reply and in the meantime I'll try to do some research on my own.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:39 PM

Joquita, not knowing something does not make you ignorant.
If you have XP, Outlook Express is already on your computer. If you use Vista, it's Windows Mail.

Unfortunately, you cannot configure either of them to work with Yahoo unless you have the paid version of Yahoo Mail.
IF your ISP partners with Yahoo Mail, then you should be able to configure the client to work with your ISP mail.

There is a work-around. A program called Ypops can be installed on your computer and the client can then be configured to work with Yahoo Mail. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it will work anymore. I've used Ypops in the past with no problems, but earlier this week I installed it and keep getting error messages when I open up Outlook Express after configuring OE to Yahoo.

Are you able to attach other types of files? (.jpeg, .gif, .txt)

Also, do you have an alternate email address you could use to see if the same error occurs when trying to attach the file?

In your first post, the path points to temporary internet files. Is the file somewhere else on your computer? If so, you can delete the temporary internet files, then try attaching the document.
If you receive an error message post it here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users