Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Applications When Launched From Desktop Take A Very Long Time And Use All Resources In That Time

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jacksnake

jacksnake

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:21 AM

Hello all,

I have a rather strange problem, from the past 5-6 days, I noticed that whenever I click any icon on the desktop /start menu, my machine just sits there, uses all the resources and after about 90s-120s launches the application. The application works fine without any problem though as it used to. When I launch the same application from the Program Files folder, the application launches very quickly without any problem and without hanging the machine.

Also, it takes very long only when the bare application is clicked, to elaborate, if i click on file.txt on the desktop, it opens in notepad without any problem, if i click on Notepad icon to launch Notepad, thats when the system freezes as mentioned above. This is similar for all applications, I can launch a .fla file from the desktop and it will launch pretty quickly in flash, but if I launch the flash program by double clicking on the icon on the desktop, then I can go have breakfast before i get control of my machine :D

The strange part is that almost all of the applications have this problem of freezing the machine when the icon on the desktop is used to launch the pogram, but only IE launches quickly without any problem.

I use kaspersky anti virus and scanned the machine, did a root kit scan on my machine and nothing came up. I scanned the machine with Malaware's Anti-Malware too and nothing came up. I am not an expert but I ran a HJT scan, and glanced through it, there were no entries that were spurios.

Any suggestions on how to proceed and oh yes, one more thing, I have noticed though that my system takes longer to boot now. The most irritating part is that I cannot use the machine freely, I have to browse the Program Files directory and launch the application in order to not freeze the machine.

If any one can help me fix this, I'll greatly appreciate it.

thanks a bunch,
-jack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:46 AM

Hello jacksnake,

Have you performed a disk cleanup and a defrag of the system?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 jacksnake

jacksnake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:49 PM

I did a disk cleanup using CCleaner; I am running defrag as I type this. I will reboot machine after defrag is done and update.

thanks a lot,
-jack

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:35 PM

Ok, http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html is a much better defrag tool that the windows default. if you select it to defrag and optimise.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:22 AM

I'd suggest that you check Task Manager → Processes tab to see if anything is hogging your CPU or Memory
Also, I'd suggest running "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes) from the Run dialog. Have your XP CD handy in case it asks for it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Maximillian

Maximillian

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:34 AM

Hello

Also check your Startup folder and see what is loading, remove what you do not need.

Check the 'Task Manager' and look under the 'Processes' tab. Kill items that are not needed and see what happens after each one. Worst thing you can do here is get and error saying that the process cannot be stopped, or the other thing is, your system will need to reboot. If you really get stuck, simply reboot.

If you know your way around the registry, then look for a folder called 'Run' and remove what is not needed. Be careful here, if you do not know what the registry is, then you should not be in it !

Take care,
Max

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:14 PM

WARNING:
(The information provided above, requires a registry edit) (The recommended program, will make changes to the registry.)
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Remember to backup the registry, before making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
How to back up, edit, and restore the registry
(I highly recommend, you make a copy of this article, before proceeding.)
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 jacksnake

jacksnake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 12:46 PM

Thank you all for your replies, here is what has been going on over the last couple of days:

- As suggested by Alan, I have been running the defragger from IObits, its taking an awfully long time to defrag; but things are going on.

- Usasma: I have tried that and here are my notes: everything is normal till I click on any icon in the desktop to launch the application, that application will take up 100% of the system resources for about 90s-100s till it launches. Overall I have noticed though that my firefox uses much much more memory than it used to. I un-installed and re-installed but that didnt seem to help.

- Maximillian: I looked in the search folder and cleaned up all the un-necessary applications. I have worked with the registry before that was guided and the instructions were very specific, haven't modified the registry after that.

- Garmanma: very true :thumbsup:, I wont modify the registry yet, but will sure make a backup of it before I do so, thanks for the link.

for now, the defragger is running, will post back with my notes after that finishes. any suggestions in the meanwhile are welcome,

thanks a lot,
-jack

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:02 PM

Try this free program: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx
It's sorta like Task Manager on steroids :thumbsup:

I'd especially look for anything else that jumps when the application that you're launching jumps. Also, you can right click on the application and select Properties, then select the Threads tab to see what's running there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:07 PM

The only other main thing I can think of is that your hard drive may be set to the wrong mode

1. Right click My Computer select properties
2. Select the Hardware tab and click device manager
3. Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers group
4. Double click Primary IDE Channel
5. Select the Advanced Settings tab
6. What is the current Transfer mode for Device 0?

If the mode is set to PIO Only select the driver tab and click Uninstall
This will uninstall the driver and reboot the system. Upon reboot the driver will be replaced and you should be using the correct setting.
Regards,

Alan.

#11 jacksnake

jacksnake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:09 PM

usasma: I downloaded process explorer, this is a great app, thanks a bunch

Alan: I checked this setting out and it was not set to PIO.

I tried the following and things seem to be ok now, launched chkdsk /f from the command line, and the system said that it couldn't finish the program and it could do it on re-boot. I rebooted the machine, and when chkdsk ran, it removed some invalid file indexes and things seem up now, applications are running well when i launch them by clicking on the desktop, seems that the hard disk drive developed some bad clusters that were marked by chkdsk.

Thanks a lot for all your invaluable suggestions, i will continue using the apps that were suggested in this thread.

mods: pls feel free to close the thread and archive it, I shall pm if it has to be re-opened later.

best,
-jack

#12 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:44 PM

No problem, thanks for letting us know the solution.
Regards,

Alan.

#13 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:30 PM

Another nice thing about this site is a the top of the page their is a lot of info/ IE. TUTORIALS. STARTUP LIST and lots more. I don't know who spent the time to make this for us but there is a lot of info. It very well might help you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users