Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

home networkning

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dnuckolls

dnuckolls

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 13 April 2005 - 11:31 PM

There is probably a specific place for this question, but I didn't see it yet. We are moving in May, and I can finally get DSL :thumbsup: (currently still on dialup) I want to have a wired connection to the DSL for our desktop, but want the mobility of a wireless connection for our laptop. I have no experience with networking, so how would I go about setting that up? What hardware will I require and that sort of thing. Thanks,

Dustin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2005 - 12:09 AM

Simplest would be run down to your local computer store ( I prefer Walmart they are cheaper and open 24/7 ) and pick up a wireless router. They generally have four Ethernet ports for wired devices. And the router will make network setup a breeze. Check with your DSL provider first. I have a friend who is on BellSouth DSL. They gave him a modem/wireless router for signing up. Hope this helps.

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 14 April 2005 - 01:10 AM

Like acklan said, but I'd check with the DSL provider if they have recommended brands of wireless router/modem because you'll want to get a compatible wireless network card for your laptop.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2005 - 01:24 AM

Thanks Rimmer. They also gave him 2-PCI NICs and 1-802.11g PCcard for his notebook. Here, at least, cable and DSL are in a shoot out for customer. Play both side if you can and get the best deal. I have had Cable since '99 but the local Telco is constantly trying to lure me away. And the same with cable. If both are available you could end up with some nice perks. Good luck.

acklan

#5 dnuckolls

dnuckolls
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2005 - 10:00 AM

thanks for the help guys. Are either of you familiar with SBC Yahoo DSL and what equipment they may provide or reccommend? Sounds like the actual setup of the network will be easy.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2005 - 10:47 AM

I'm not familiar with Yahoo but most DSL providers supply you with a disk. It will configure each computer on your network. Pretty straight forward.

acklan

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 14 April 2005 - 12:44 PM

The DSL providers around here use the Actiontech modem/router with wireless capability already installed. No extra parts needed. But I don't know how universal that is.

#8 dnuckolls

dnuckolls
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2005 - 10:20 PM

anyone have suggestions or reccommendations on wireless routers and wireless notebook cards. looking to be thrifty, but thourough. we would like moderate home network security, but ease of use and cost are also a big factor

#9 rexifelis

rexifelis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 15 April 2005 - 03:38 AM

at work we have had most success with linksys' wireless access point
you just plug it into your existing ethernet router and boom! wireless!
nothing to config or setup, just plug and play.

Linksys' Wireless-G access point

seems that the avg price for this device is around 59-79 (online)

this would be good if your provider does not support/have wireless
at all... and supplies you with a dsl or cable modem/router that has
a 4-port minihub built in (which most newer devices have nowadays).
and security would be handled thru your existing router (authentication,
passwords...)

oh yea, here is a chart on the different types of wireless A/B/G
Linksys' chart on wireless

good luck!

--rex

p.s. almost forgot here is a link to Linksys' PCMCIA card for your laptop:
Linksys' WPC54G

Edited by rexifelis, 15 April 2005 - 03:41 AM.

"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
--Florence Ambrose
Freefall (gooood webcomic)
reference to the specific strip that my quote came from.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2005 - 06:36 AM

Like the previous Rexifelis I think Linksys is a good solid choice. I recommended in an earlier post, Walmat has Linksys on the shelf for a fair price. I was in there last night and they had the Linksys wireless router, WRT54G, for $70. The PC Card (notebook) for $40. Linksys model WPC11. If you decide to go wireless on the desktop the have PCI cards starting at $35. You may want to consider a router with a printer server. That will run about an extra $20. The two reasons I recommend Walmart are, they close and you won't have to wait on shipping. Second if it is defective you can sway out no questions asked. Any local computer store or department store (Sears, Kmart, Target,....) will have similar stock and pricing. When you sign up with you Broadband provider look into VOIP (Internet telephone). I have it through Cox Cable. About haft the price of local Telco with as good quality. Make sure the one you go with supports local 911 service. Hope this helps.

acklan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users