Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network: Mac Leopard 10.5.4 & Xp Professional.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:37 AM

NETWORK MAC & XP for INTERNET and PRINTER.

First:

The printer is connected to the Mac and working, the internet is working on the mac which the modem is connected to the Router and a cable from the Router goes to the Mac (also one cable goes to the XP Pro PC)

What i need is: (this is a wired (via Ethernet cables) network unfortunately as PC isn't wireless)

1. instructions what to do on the mac from scratch to finish

2. instructions what to do on XP from scratch to finish.

never done network setups before.

*One more thing: does the printer need to be connected directly onto the Router or on the computer (Mac (prefered) Or PC?)?

I had the internet working when i had vista on the PC but downgraded to XP but XP didn't automatically configure for the net like Vista did.

i have fiddled around for a few hours today on it but can't work it out at all.

i must also add, this is one thing not very many people know/understand (or want to give the info on).

Edited by Izzy, 18 July 2008 - 03:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 12:01 AM

Anyone?

its really weird, they have this network thing and nobody knows how to do it. its like why bother making it exist.

I still can't figure it out. Everyone else is probably scratching their heads like me.

#3 Harko

Harko

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:57 AM

I have a home network with Macs running 10.5.4 and PCs running XP Pro with file and printer sharing. Here are some things that woked for me. Not step by step, since it would be impossible to do so depending on your applications and settings to do so, but very general items you might try.

To share folders and printing on the Mac:
  • Click System Preferences > Sharing, then select file sharing and printer sharing on the left. This should allow the PC to access your Public folder and the printer connected to the Mac.
To share folders and printing on the PC (these are for XP Pro, not sure they'll be exactly the same for Home if that's what you're using):
  • If you want to define a shared folder on the PC as well as on the Mac, make sure the folder you want to share is share-enabled. For instance, my shared folder is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents . I would right-click Shared Documents, click Properties, click the Sharing tab, click Share this folder, ensure the share name is something like SharedDocs, select the User Limit you want, click Permissions to set the level of sharing control you want for who you want. Click OK twice from that point to get out of the Shared Folder Properties.
  • Ensure your firewall is enabled to allow network sharing like this. This will depend on whether you're using Windows Firewall or a personal firewall like Zone Alarm. If Windows Firewall, click Start > Control Panel, double-click Windows Firewall, click the Exceptions tab, then select File and Printer sharing. If using a personal firewall, the method is going to vary by product. Usually, there's a method to define an IP address or a range of IP addresses to allow access to the PC for file and print sharing; you should do this for the Mac. If your router and computers are set up for DHCP IP address assignment, you should define a range that always should include your Mac and (and the printer if you directly connect the printer to the router instead of to the Mac).
  • Download Bonjour for Windows from the Apple site and install it on the PC. If you've done all the above, you should be able to locate the printer connected to the Mac or the router and enable it.
If all this is successful, you should see the PC and its shared folder in the Mac Finder under Shared, and the Mac and its public folder on the PC under My Network Places. If you don't see the Mac, you might need to run the Add Network Place wizard to navigate or browse to it.

Good luck.
--Harko

#4 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:49 AM

thanks for your suggestion, but i still can't get anything to work with XP. hate stupid microsoft crap.

the router address is 10.0.138

i scanned and i got for the ports:

Open TCP 80 http
Open TCP 443 https

The modem address is 10.0.0.3

i scanned and got ports:

Open TCP 80 http
Open TCP 88 kerberos
Open TCP 139 netbros-ssn
Open TCP 445 microsoft-ds
Open TCP 515 printer
Open TCP 631 ipp

this was done on the mac if that is any help. i'm just about to give up on this. this should be simple not ridiculous.

#5 Harko

Harko

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:57 PM

The only other thing I might suggest is that you check the two computers are in the same workgroup. This was the problem with my own file/pring sharing problem I just had solved; one of my PCs had somehow found its way into its own domain, separate from the workgroup the other computers and printers were in, which totally jacked up the file and print sharing.

#6 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:25 PM

where do i check which workgroup the Mac is so i can make the PC the same as that?

i went in the NETWORK part on Mac and this is everything i can find here:

IPv4 Address: 10.0.0.3 (modem)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 10.0.0.138
DNS Server: 10.0.0.138
Search Domains: gateway.2wire.net
NetBIOS: MAC001B63B727B3
Workgroup: workgroup
WINS Servers: """this is all blank"""
AppleTalk: """nothign done in here"""
802.1X: """Nothing done here either"""
Proxies: """nothing done in here either"""
Ethernet ID: 00:1b:63:b7:27::b3

any of that need to be entered into XP (if so, How do i do this?)

I cant even get XP to find the router. little alone anything else.

Edited by Izzy, 22 July 2008 - 05:26 PM.

#7 Harko

Harko

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:40 PM

To check whether both the Mac and the PC are in Workgroup on the PC:
  • On the desktop, double-click My Computer.
  • Click Folders.
  • Expand My Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network.
  • Look for Workgroup; if it's there, expand it.
  • Check that both the Mac and the PC appear listed under Workgroup.
To set up or check network configuration on the PC to see that it matches the Mac:
  • Click Start > Control Panel.
  • Double-click Network Connections.
  • Right-click the connection you're using and then click Properties.
  • Click the General tab.
  • In the list, scroll down and select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the General tab.
  • Click Obtain an IP address automatically (this will have your router assign the IP address and subnet mask to the PC).
  • Click Obtain DNS server address automatically.
  • Click OK twice.
Good luck.

#8 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:03 AM

i got in to check what computer/s were in the "Workgroup" and it is showing none. i have tried and tried and i can't get them to show in there.

i tried to ping the modem and router but it tells me its unreachable.

i ran the network wizard on xp, it says it completed fine but don't work.

i have asked all computer shops in town and not one could/or would tell me how to do it.

Edited by Izzy, 23 July 2008 - 03:32 AM.

#9 Harko

Harko

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:15 AM

Another way to check whether the PC is in Workgroup:

• Right-click My Computer and then click Properties.
  • Click the Computer Name tab.
  • Look for either "workgroup" or "domain". if Workgroup: says WORKGROUP, you're okay. If Workgroup: says anything else, or if it says Domain: instead, you're somewhere else.
You can change the PC to the WORKGROUP workgroup by doing the following:
  • Ensure you're logged in to the PC with an admin account that you know the password for.
  • Perform the first two steps above to get to the Computer Name tab.
  • Click Change.
  • Click the Workgroup radio button and then type WORKGROUP in the field underneath.
  • Click OK.
  • Restart the computer.
  • Check My Network Places again as described in my earlier post to see whether the Mac and the PC show up in Workgroup.
Good luck again. I'm pretty much run out of ideas now. Maybe one of the heavy hitters on this forum can help or take over...?

#10 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:20 AM

thanks for all your suggestions, but unfortunately no success. XP Professional PC has WORKGROUPE because it won't accept WORKGROUP, don't ask why i don't know, that's what come up, so i changed the Mac to Workgroupe but just won't work. So i think i will just put Vista back on, at least it worked. The Mac won't even recognize XP Pro PC and vice versa.

thanks very much.

Edited by Izzy, 24 July 2008 - 01:22 AM.

#11 Harko

Harko

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:02 AM

Sorry no one here was able to help you; best of luck.

#12 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:58 AM

well i have Vista back on the PC, did nothing, not even set up a network or internet connection, the internet is working perfectly. I can't see why it wouldn't work with XP.

Now, my HP printer is connected to the Mac can i share this print with Vista, if so how?

#13 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:26 AM

well, after updates and reboots, vista has automatically configured itself so the printer works too, although i had to use a driver for a Photosmart 7200 instead of Photosmart C5280, who cares if it is working.

Only downside is if the Mac is off, i can't print from the PC, and if it was Vice Versa i suppose it would be the same...is there a way to have the printer connected so if one computer is off the other can print documents? I maybe half answering this myself, I would guess that the printer needs to be connected to the router? But a USB printer and a Ethernet Router? Adapter?

#14 Guns of Thunder

Guns of Thunder

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:10 AM

I setup a network through XP wizard saved it to the flash drive. I put the flash drive in my iMAC. the iMAC said it did not recognise it but than the network started working. also i got a printer with ethernet connection so the printing is not dependent on the computer being on, also, both comperter can use the scanner. Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users