Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal Clicking Sound

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pwal

pwal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:23 PM

Hi I am new here but I had a quick question I hoped someone may have heard of before.
I am getting a random spontaneous "click - click" every few hours or so on my machine. Almost as if the system is trying to read a device but cannot. Note during this timeframe My PC seems to pause or lock up for a few seconds during "click clicks"

The only thing I can think of would be the media card slots... Am I correct on this assumption based on the fact I do NOT have a diskette drive and I have removed both burners while trying to track down this monster.

It is a new PC hp dual processor pc if more info is required please tell me.

thanks alot guys :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:44 PM

Hi pwal, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

The clicking noise is probably your hard drive, and this could mean that it's in trouble. Download SIW and find out what the make of you hdd is. Go to the manufacturer's web site and download their diagnostic tool and run it. You may need go into the BIOS to change the boot order so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order so that the diagnostic CD will boot from it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 starfireone

starfireone

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:53 PM

It is not uncommon for new hard drives to go bad or be defective in a new PC. Is the PC new enough to return it to where you purchased it and get an exchange ?

Thanks
Starfireone

www.nickscomputerfix.com

#4 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:19 PM

My external just died a few days ago, and it's making those clicking sounds. My recommendation is to back up your data as soon as possible.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users