Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Image Error Unresolved

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 zoluxc

zoluxc

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:12 PM

I recently started getting repetitive Bad image errors dealing with winrnr.dll. The message says that it is not the same version as the version of windows that I have. I have tried the sfc command, but it says that it is unable to fix the problem. Is there any way to replace this file? I really would like to avoid backing up more files and doing a complete reinstall of vista. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:29 PM

What is the exact error message that you get with SFC.EXE?
Here's a link on how to get the information from the log files. Copy and paste the relevant sections (not the entire log) into your next post so we can have a look at it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 zoluxc

zoluxc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:13 AM

what is the link so i don't put the whole log in?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:10 AM

Sorry, I must've been having an Alzheimer's moment! :huh: Here's the link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 zoluxc

zoluxc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:57 PM

ok, the sfc error says "Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" and the details are in the cbs.log file, which i will try to get up here soon

#6 zoluxc

zoluxc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:04 PM

ps. I cant get into the cbs.log file to read it... help :\

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:54 AM

What error message do you receive when trying to open the cbs.log ?

#8 zoluxc

zoluxc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:52 AM

im not authorized... and i dont know why, but i cant give myself permission. I am the sole account and administrator on my computer. I tried to give myself permission to modify the system32 folder but it wont let me...

#9 zoluxc

zoluxc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:18 PM

well guys dont burn your brains on this one... im taking the less convenient cowards way out... the good ole reinstall

#10 hotshot309

hotshot309

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

For anyone coming upon this thread wondering about CBS.log (the file produced after SFC /scannow finishes looking for corrupt system files):

The very simplest way to view CBS.log without messing it up is to log into your system as an administrator and copy CBS.log to your desktop, and then open it. This very simple fix courtesy of this VistaHeads thread. Can you believe this? It's true; I've done it.

Microsoft also provides an article describing how to pull useful info out of CBS.log without copying it, and what that information means. This includes the advice given in this thread, where you do
findstr /C:"[SR] Cannot repair member file" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt
at the command line. The problem is that what this command does is find strings in CBS.log starting with that phrase in quotes, and then redirect these strings into another file called sfcdetails.txt (it will create the file if it doesn't exist yet), inside the working directory--meaning whatever directory you are in within the command prompt window when you execute the command. If your command prompt starts with
C:\Windows\System32
at the beginning of the line before the cursor, then that is your working directory, and where sfcdetails.txt will be stored if it isn't there already. Most people giving this advice, and Microsoft's article, neglect to mention this. (Also, in my case--on the contrary to Microsoft's article--sfcdetails.txt does not already exist on my C: drive, even though I've run SFC at least a few times.)

CBS.log's security properties are fairly incomprehensible to me as well. A Microsoft tech was controlling my computer remotely a few days ago while troubleshooting SP1 installation failures on Vista. He tried to help me access CBS.log by merging a registry file that added "Take Ownership" to my file/folder context menu (the little options menu that appears when you right-click a file or folder). I then took ownership of CBS.log and double-clicked on it but still was not allowed to open it. The tech moved on without trying anything else on CBS.log, saying it wasn't important to look at.

I just wanted to post that for anyone else out there wondering about this!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users