Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating Me

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 auntna

auntna

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:27 PM

Hi,

A friend of mine who is not connected to the internet has a Gateway Intel Computer with 63.3 OMB RAM 32 Bit with 67% free memory. It has Microsoft ME 4.90.3000 installed. I think it needs some updating in general to make it compatible with some of todays applications and programs. Specifically the Windows Media Player. I have recorded some cds on my computer using my WMP 11 and they won't play on her WMP 7?. I tried to install WMP 11 on her computer from my flash drive and the screen came up that it was not compatible with ME operating system.

What steps do I take to update her computer so we can play these audio and video cds on it? Is it maybe a problem with my codecs and/or her codecs? Do I need to download earlier versions of WMP and build up to one that will be compatible? Is there a limit on what ME can handle?

Does she need a service pack? I could not find a mention of one installed in her properties. Since she is not on the internet I will have to transfer all updates via a flash drive or other means.

Sorry I have so many questions on this one. Is there a simple answer? Thanks.

Aunt Na

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:53 PM

On Windows ME, you can install only upto Windows Media Player 9. You can download WMP9 from here : http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=wmp. Download one for 98/2K.

Anyway you do not need WMP, for playing video. And even after installing WMP, you may need other codecs. You can do this :

1. Use VLCPlayer, it needs no codecs. (use version 0.8.6c or lower, later version wont work on Windows 98 or ME). You can play VCD,DVD and other media files. http://www.filehippo.com/download_vlc/

2. You can install codecs from various packages available online. For example, K-Lite Codec Pack (again use version 1.46, later versions seem not to work very well on WinME, though you may try). KLite codec pack will also install Media Player Classic. http://www.filehippo.com/download_klite_mega_codec/

If you install codecs you can use WMP or any other player too. If you use VLC, media will play only on VLCPlayer.

You should install DirectX9c on Windows ME, it gives better performance. Then also should update sound drivers.

I hope you find this information useful :thumbsup:

Edited by Romeo29, 17 July 2008 - 06:59 PM.

#3 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:01 PM

Thanks Romeo for the quick answer. I will try installing the ver. 9 and look at the VLCPlayer. I never heard of that. I will also look at the DirectX9c; also new to me.

Windows ME looks so different to me. I'm used to my XP classic view. The ME looks more like Windows 95. It can be confusing.

Aunt Na

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:14 PM

Thanks Romeo for the quick answer. I will try installing the ver. 9 and look at the VLCPlayer. I never heard of that. I will also look at the DirectX9c; also new to me.

Windows ME looks so different to me. I'm used to my XP classic view. The ME looks more like Windows 95. It can be confusing.

Aunt Na

DirectX is a technology from Microsoft. It is not a media player. It is designed for game programmers to provide direct access to hardware, bypassing Windows. DirectX9c is DirectX version 9c, the latest for Windows ME. Most media players use DirectX for playing video, thats why you should update DirectX. I guessed if you have Windows Media Player 7.0, you would have not updated DirectX either. WinME comes with DirectX version 7.0 pre-installed. And that is old.

If you install Windows Media Player 9.0, you should alos install KLite Codec Pack.

I hope you enjoy watching video on your friends PC :thumbsup:

#5 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:56 PM

Sorry, I guess you meant that if I used the VLC Player that I would not have to do anything else. Sounds like the best solution especially for a dial up connection. The less downloading the better! I will do that instead. Thanks!

#6 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:06 PM

Sorry, I guess you meant that if I used the VLC Player that I would not have to do anything else. Sounds like the best solution especially for a dial up connection. The less downloading the better! I will do that instead. Thanks!

Keeping in mind that everything I'm doing I have to download on my computer and then transfer it to her computer via a flash drive since she does not have internet I don't think I can do the sound card update, correct? I mean if I should go ahead with the DirectX 9c download also.

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:37 PM

Keeping in mind that everything I'm doing I have to download on my computer and then transfer it to her computer via a flash drive since she does not have internet I don't think I can do the sound card update, correct? I mean if I should go ahead with the DirectX 9c download also.

VLC Player also uses DirectX. But you should first try it without updating DirectX. If it fails to play video properly then you will have to install DirectX9 (approx 75MB).

You can update sound card and vga drivers too, but it would be tricky. If you know manufacturer and model of sound card or vga card, you can download drivers from their website. Dont worry, you can play video fine without updating them. I only meant, it would be better.

Edited by Romeo29, 17 July 2008 - 08:39 PM.

#8 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:59 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I hope this works!

#9 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:38 PM

Quote: 'VLC Player also uses DirectX. But you should first try it without updating DirectX. If it fails to play video properly then you will have to install DirectX9 (approx 75MB).'

I downloaded the VLC Player 0.8.6c and put it on my flash drive. I took it to my friend's computer and tried to install it. There were three files for it. I found the one that is the setup file (icon is a cone) and got it started. It did not complete because it said there was "unicows.dll'l file missing. So I stopped it and got out of it. It did manage to install the program shortcut and I left it there. I did not try to start it because the download did not complete. What now? I then tried to install the DirectX 9c and got a popup saying "Fatal Error" etc. So I quit that too.

Help, please!

Aunt Na

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:36 PM

Sorry, I forgot to tell you about Unicode layer.

Yes VLC Player requires Unicode layer for Windows ME. You can download it from MicroSoft website here : http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/7...642/unicows.exe

This will download UNICOWS.EXE. Run it. It will ask for a location. Type "C:\Windows\System" without quotes and press OK. If it asks for overwriting files, say YES.

Done. Now you can start VLC Player.

By the way, VLC Player setup is only ONE file something like "vlc-0.8.6c-win32.exe"

DirectX 9c fatal error : you must have downloaded the latest version, while Microsoft has stopped support for Windows ME for some time. You should install an earlier version. Funny thing is earlier version is also called DirectX 9c. Sorry again for not clarifying.

You should install this old december 2006 version :
http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/c...2006_redist.exe

Edited by Romeo29, 18 July 2008 - 10:43 PM.

#11 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:04 PM

I used the free FLV Player download from this site. http://www.brothersoft.com/vlc-media-playe...load-61497.html
I could not find the download button on the file hippos site that you provided the link to. It is split into 3 files one of which has 0 bytes. The others are 9.23 MB and 726 KB in size.

I will try these other steps that you recommend and see what results I get. I may not get to it until next week though. Thanks for your attention to my problem.

#12 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:01 AM

I could not find the download button on the file hippos site that you provided the link to. It is split into 3 files one of which has 0 bytes. The others are 9.23 MB and 726 KB in size.

The download link on any FileHippo page is at the top right, it says Download This Version. Now it says the last version to me used in Windows (All Versions) is VLC Media Player 0.8.6f, 9.28MB. I've had problems with it saying that with Flash Player 10.0.1.218 Beta (IE) it says Windows (All Versions) but it won't install because of wrong operating system, Win98SE.

All the ones below VLC Media Player 0.8.6f say Windows 9x/2000/XP/2003/XP64 or Windows (All Versions). :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#13 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:31 AM

I used the free FLV Player download from this site. http://www.brothersoft.com/vlc-media-playe...load-61497.html

I will try these other steps that you recommend and see what results I get. I may not get to it until next week though. Thanks for your attention to my problem.

You can download v0.8.6.c(suitable for WinME) directly from this link :
http://www.oldapps.com/download.php?oldapp....8.6c-win32.exe

It is single file 9.23MB.

FLVPlayer plays only FLV files(the ones u see on youtube.com). I dont trust brothersoft downloads, they tend to contain adwares. I guess you must have googled VLCPlayer and brothersoft link was on top 10 :thumbsup: That is a brothersft hack you search for anything 'download' and they have a link for it.

On FileHippo its a BIG down arrow on the upper-right side. Posted Image It says 'Download this version'

If the VLCPlayer setup (a cone) was on desktop, it means it is installed. Only it wont play without UNICOWS library. The setup gave error in the end because it was trying to run the player. You just have to install "unicows.exe". I gave the link before. Again, it would be a good idea if u update DirectX.

Hoping you watch video on ur friends computer :flowers:

#14 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:23 AM

Sorry, I mistyped the name of the download. It was the VLC Player. And I finally figured out the how to use the download button of the FileHippo page. Just click on the version I want and then hit the green Download arrow. I wasn't paying attention. I will try it again and see how it goes this time. I will also get the Unicode layer. I am also planning to eventually upgrade the WMP 7 to the WMP 9 and update the codec pack for it. We shall see which setup gets results first on my friend's ME computer.

#15 auntna

auntna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:36 AM

Hi,

A friend of mine who is not connected to the internet has a Gateway Intel Computer with 63.3 OMB RAM 32 Bit with 67% free memory. It has Microsoft ME 4.90.3000 installed. I think it needs some updating in general to make it compatible with some of todays applications and programs. Specifically the Windows Media Player. I have recorded some cds on my computer using my WMP 11 and they won't play on her WMP 7?. I tried to install WMP 11 on her computer from my flash drive and the screen came up that it was not compatible with ME operating system.

What steps do I take to update her computer so we can play these audio and video cds on it? Is it maybe a problem with my codecs and/or her codecs? Do I need to download earlier versions of WMP and build up to one that will be compatible? Is there a limit on what ME can handle?

Does she need a service pack? I could not find a mention of one installed in her properties. Since she is not on the internet I will have to transfer all updates via a flash drive or other means.

Sorry I have so many questions on this one. Is there a simple answer? Thanks.

Aunt Na

Back to my original, general question about ME 4.90.3000. What else can we or should we bring up to date on her system to make her computer better? I'm thinking about running the Eusing Free registry cleaner on it to see if that will make it faster and help her programs run better. I know she could probably use more memory too. I haven't looked up the specs yet to see what the max would be for the Gateway.

Thanks, you all have been very helpful!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users