Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kevinb123

kevinb123

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:38 PM

hi i have been using outlook express with no probs then all of a sudden i keep getting the same 5 messages and loads with error message that i cant get, over and over. cant recieve mail now as seems to be blocked just get the same thing when log in

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:46 PM

What error messages are you receiving? Copy then paste them in this topic.
If there are any email addresses in the error messages XXXX out the part before .com/net or whatever.

#3 kevinb123

kevinb123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:26 AM

Message number 15 could not be retrieved. Account: 'POP3.BLUEYONDER.CO.UK', Server: 'POP3.BLUEYONDER.CO.UK', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: 'Am in the final year at university of Ghana. I like every ..."<br>', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800420CD

thanx, keep getting same 5 messages over an over then over 100 in an error box with this?^

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:24 PM

Try rebuilding the OE folders. It sounds like you have some corrupted .dbx folders.

Make sure you create new folders to keep any emails you still want. You can move them all into one folder, or create Inbox2, Sent2, etc and move them there. If rebuilding the folders works, you can then move them back where you want them.

To find your identity, you will have to first go into Tools-Folder Options-View from any folder in Windows Explorer and check "Show hidden files and folders" first. The path to your OE Identity should be something like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{BA71C9C5-E7AE-4417-BC40-8E2D6367A668}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

(The information between { and } will be different too.)

If you have more than one identity, browse to the correct one.

Make sure OE is closed and delete these .dbx folders:
Inbox, Outbox, Sent, Deleted, Drafts. (They'll go to the recycle bin if you need to restore them.)

DO NOT DELETE the Folder.dbx file. All the others are safe to delete though.

When you open OE again, it will recreate a new .dbx file for all the folders.

Sometimes it is necessary to rebuild the Folder.dbx file, but you will have to redo your settings, personalized folders, news feeds, etc if you use those.

#5 kevinb123

kevinb123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:50 PM

i asumed you meant tools in the start,search part? i checked show hidden files. dont know how to get to" C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{BA71C9C5-E7AE-4417-BC40-8E2D6367A668}\Microsoft\Outlook Express" dont know how to get to folders?

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:14 AM

To unhide hidden files go to the top of any explorer window (ie open My Documents) and under Tools, select folder options. Click on the View Tab. Then scroll down a bit to Hidden Files and Folders and tick the appropriate choice to show the hidden files and folders.

Now, go into your OE options for your identity and click the maintenance tab. Click the Store Folder button. It will reveal where your OE folders are. Copy and paste it into notepad. Then just close that box. Don't do anything else with it. Close OE now.

Open My Documents and copy that address into the address bar and click Go.

That should bring up the dbx files you need. You can delete them from there and when you start OE again it will recreate new dbx folders.

Edit: I also found this. You might start with just replacing this .dbx and see what happens.

If your POP3 mail account is configured to "leave a copy of messages on the server" under Tools | Accounts | <account> | Properties | Advanced, it sometimes happens that OE downloads the same messages each time you send and receive. This is caused by a damaged "Pop3uidl.dbx" file in your Identity's store folder. This file keeps track of which messages on the server have already been downloaded and should therefore be skipped on subsequent downloads. To fix the problem, simply delete the "Pop3uidl.dbx" file. The next time you check for mail, all the messages on the server will be downloaded again, but a new "Pop3uidl.dbx" will be created that should work properly on subsequent mail checks.

If you are seeing duplicate messages on a Hotmail or IMAP account, this solution will not work because those types of accounts do not use the "Pop3uidl.dbx" file. However there is a simple solution for both Hotmail and IMAP.

http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm

Edited by mommabear, 20 July 2008 - 05:24 AM.

#7 kevinb123

kevinb123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:10 AM

copied and pasted the line in START,SEARCH and deleted the folders, still the same?
my settings are not set to leave a copy of messages on the server.

#8 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:02 AM

copied and pasted the line in START,SEARCH and deleted the folders, still the same?
my settings are not set to leave a copy of messages on the server.

"still the same?" I don't know. You're set not to leave messages on the server so until someone emails you, you won't know if you can receive again. Have you tried sending a email out? Did that work?

#9 kevinb123

kevinb123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:22 AM

yes its sending mail fine. just keep recieving the same 5 messages that have been on 4 ages and the error box with 100 od that can't read?

#10 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 12:23 PM

Hello kevinb123,

Try logging on directly to the webmail interface provided by your email server/ISP to isolate and delete the problem e-mail there -- don't try using Outlook Express (OE) to delete that e-mail.

I seem to recall that if there is a severe problem with only one of a group of e-mails that are waiting to be downloaded into OE from your email server/ISP, OE will download as many as it can until it encounters the e-mail causing the problem. OE will then stop downloading and issue an error message, but OE will not mark those e-mails that it did successfully download as having been downloaded from the server. Then, the next time you start OE, or try to receive e-mails in OE, the cycle repeats.

#11 kevinb123

kevinb123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:15 PM

Try logging on directly to the webmail interface provided by your email server/ISP to isolate and delete the problem e-mail there -- don't try using Outlook Express (OE) to delete that e-mail.

problem solved :thumbsup: did what you said and works great now. thanx for all your effort and time. really appreciated :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users