Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Radeon Hd 4870 - Blank/black Screen When Booting

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Smokingwolf

Smokingwolf

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:47 PM

My hardware components:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3,16GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R
PSU: Corsair VX 550W
Memory: 4GB Corsair Ram
Graphic card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4870
2 x Samsung Spinpoint 500GB

I installed the newest version of Catalyst that was shipped with the graphic card, but that did not work. So I downloaded a beta driver and installed that. But that did not help either. I also tried the hotfix for HD 4800 series found on ATI's webpage, but that was already installed with the beta driver, which obviously didn't work. Almost everytime i boot, the screen becomes blank after the Vista booter loading bar finishes (when the Windows logo is supposed to pop up and then go into the log-on screen). I also had some Blue screen of death errors a couple of times. I can hear that the computer is still thinking, but nothing happens. Sometimes the logo pops up, but then freezes, but that's rare. Sometimes it reboots by itself after some time, telling me there was an error. One time, when trying to update the Catalyst, bluescreen of death showed its face and said there was an error and rebooted the computer (which I then had to do several times too...).

I've tried changing the maximum screen refresh rate and resolution in Catalyst to match my screen, but that didn't help either.

So far I have a chance of one to five, or something, of even getting to log on my computer. This happens nearly everytime I try to start my computer, so it takes several minutes and several rebootings before I can even use the computer.

Besides that, the card works fine.

Thanks on advance
- Mathy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:21 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I suggest uninstalling all ATI drivers/software from both the O/S and registry...then starting anew.

I wouldn't use beta drivers for the initial install...I'd go with what shipped with the card.

I would also reseat the physical card.

Then I would try the install anew.

I didn't see anything at the ATI website that was enlightening in their Support FAQ.

FWIW: When I uninstall ATI drivers gone awry, I first do the Add/Remove Programs ATI Uninstall Utility, everything else ATI that might be in Add/Remove. Then I search the registry (manually or using jv16 PowerTools) for all ATI entries and remove those. Then I use the XP Search function to find stray files...and delete those. Before I reboot, I go to Device Manager and make sure that the drivers are removed.

I reboot, then install from the CD once the desktop has settled.

I have experience with two AIWs (which are being brought back) which has yielded me this approach :flowers:.

Good luck!

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 July 2008 - 04:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users