Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One Comodo Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:18 PM

In Comodo is one screen that has me totally stumped. It's some sort of a potentially-unsafe file list. Help isn't helping me. If a AV update comes in or if I download a file, is such file first put onto this screen and I have to figure out whether and where to move it? How big is this list going to get?
If I sit and just watch the list grow, does it mean AV is or is not updating?
Actually most of those files are some Comodo updates with options to remove, add, move and so on.

I've trialed Comodo before and found it managable, with the exception of this one screen.

So how does it work in the daily grind?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:23 PM

Hi Tos226,
What to do is click on purge and this will delete the no longer viable files leaving just the valid files which can then be added to your safe files. This only deletes the files from Comodo and not from your PC. If you set both your Network Defence and Proactive Defence to Safe Mode you will no longer get these files building up and won't have to bother with them. The safe files list was a way in which Comodo was gathering information for their Anti Virus which I read in the Comodo Forums is now past the Beta stage and will be part of a big update of what Comodo calls the Comodo Internet Security Suite and is due for release by the end of the month. Here is a link to the Comodo Forum where you will find a lot of info on their products.

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:47 PM

Also to add,when a file or program is accessed it will then be placed in the pending files list. This happened to me a while back and the list was into its thousands. I disabled the +defence option in comodo and replaced that aspect of security with an alternative.
Regards,

Alan.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:11 PM

Thanks to both of you. That clarifies a bit.
Yeah, I think I trialed with defence which caused the list to grow.
So long as these are internal lists, it's not a problem. I gather if I were to Move to a safe list, it won't ask again (assuming defence is running)
If I do use Comodo, I probably won't use that part anyway. I just would want a simple firewall plus some application protection, none of the suite stuff nor AV, as I've got good tools for HIPS and AV. Just exploring the alternatives :thumbsup:

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:47 AM

No problem, glad to help.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:25 AM

Also to add,when a file or program is accessed it will then be placed in the pending files list. This happened to me a while back and the list was into its thousands. I disabled the +defence option in comodo and replaced that aspect of security with an alternative.

It's not neccessary to disable Defence+ just change it from clean mode to safe mode and you will no longer see any My Pending files.

Another tip I have just learned is if you go into Firewall > Advanced > Network Security Policy and purge the files here Comodo will delete anything listed which is not on your PC anymore eg old deleted programs leaving only Valid Files. You should also do this with Defence+ > Advanced > Computer Security Policy. It just keeps your installation clean and tidy without Comodo being cluttered up with old and unused info.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users