Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is The Psu Powerful Enough?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cornzey

cornzey

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:23 PM

Hi there,

Firstly sorry I havent been posting for the past few days been sorting out the parts for my new build. The specs are below:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core Processor(3.0GHz,6MB Cache,1333MHz)
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium Edition with SP 1
PCI-Express Mainboard - SLi nForce 750i SLi - Intel Core2Duo/Quad Core - ATX
2GB DDR2 800MHz Memory (1 x 2 GB)
500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
LightScribe Super Format 20x Dual Layer DVD Writer +R/-R/RW/RAM
512MB nVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX - Dual DVI, HDTV, TV-Out
Multi-format Memory Card Reader (matx)

What I would like to know is, will a 550W PSU be enough for this system?

Thanks,
Cornzey

Posted Image

If I'm giving you help and I don't reply within 24 hours PM me with the topic link.

Avast Anti-Virus - Zone Alarm Firewall
Stay Protected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:01 PM

It should be plenty for your system, but if you decide to go SLI, a cheap power supply might not handle it too well. Can you post more information about it, or preferably, send a link to the specific power supply?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 cornzey

cornzey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:48 AM

All I know is it is made by HEC and, it's part of a case + PSU package. I have asked the company but they were enable to give me a model number.

Thanks,
Cornzey

Posted Image

If I'm giving you help and I don't reply within 24 hours PM me with the topic link.

Avast Anti-Virus - Zone Alarm Firewall
Stay Protected.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:16 AM

If This is your PSU then you may wish to read the reviews, all three of the reviews have cons which involve railures. The fact that it only has an efficiency rating of 75% makes this questionable, couple with the review that I read elsewhere where HEC describe the PSU as having 550W peak power, I would be wary of this PSU. Peak power is a misleading rating, the output may be able to reach a peak power rating, but will not be able to maintain that output level.

Edited by dc3, 18 July 2008 - 04:20 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:46 AM

I agree, Peak ability doesnt always lead to stability. I build mostly AMD platforms, a good 500watt psu should do the trick.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:07 AM

I agree, Peak ability doesnt always lead to stability. I build mostly AMD platforms, a good 500watt psu should do the trick.

The determining factor will be the graphics card/s that are going to be used, this one requires at least a 580W PSU with a 12V rail rated at 40A or more. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users