Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan Noise Sometimes = Buzz Saw

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wishoosier

wishoosier

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:05 PM

My cpu fan (I assume it's the fan) occasionally kicks into overdrive, and sounds like a buzz saw for a few minutes, then stops.

This began last spring, when I was watching videos on the computer (season 1 of 'Heroes' on the nbc site).

I assumed it was due to dust buildup inside the machine, so I cleaned it out. The noise still came (and went, and came again).

It's begun more frequently now that warmer weather is here. It usually happens when the computer is in heavy use (videos, games).

What is this, and how do I make it go away?

The machine is a 3-year old hp tower. It has ample ventilation on the back and sides. Ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:13 PM

You sure it's the CPU fan...or is it the PS fan?

Or is it vibrations from some part of the system?

I don't know much about fans but I would have to guess that the bearings are too worn and that you need a fan replacement.

http://users.lycaeum.org/~npkaye/quietfan_zap.html

Louis

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:15 PM

Hi wishoosier.
Sounds like the bearings within the fan itself.
If you're positive the noise is originating there, replace it ASAP

#4 wishoosier

wishoosier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for the help. How can I tell if it's the ps fan or the cpu fan? (Are these really two different things?)

#5 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:38 PM

The PS fan is in that big metal cage in the top left of your case. The CPU fan is the one on top of that metal block thingy called heatsink.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 17 July 2008 - 01:39 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for the help. How can I tell if it's the ps fan or the cpu fan? (Are these really two different things?)

Very different. :thumbsup:
Shut down and unplug the computer.
Remove the cover and power the system back up so that you can easily hear all the fans.
In short, the cpu fan will be on the motherboard, the power supply fan encased within the power supply itself.
Check any case and\or video card fans as well. (you didn't supply model #)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users