Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Machine On Loop!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mar5hy

mar5hy

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:22 AM

Hi,

I've got an admin machine which is on a loop.

It displays the XP Splat, and then flashes the BSOD and then restarts.

- I've run a diagnostic test on the drive that didn't come up with anything.
- I can't get into safe mode
- I can't get into the recovery console, just gives me the option to install windows
- I can't repair the installation
- I can't ghost, this is the only machine of this brand

Was working fine the other day, I haven't installed/upgraded anything.

Whats the next thing to try? Usually running chkdsk would fixit?

Any help would be great
Brighton, UK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:03 AM

An error after the splash screen usually indicates either a registry problem or a problem with a driver that doesn't load at startup. But it can also be a corruption with Windows itself. Can you get to the Safe Mode menu screen? If so, there should be an option to disable automatic reboot (which'll allow you to see the BSOD).

Otherwise you'll have to access the hard drive with another system in order to retrieve the BSOD data and perform an analysis on it.

What happens when you boot from the installation CD? At the first screen there's supposed to be an option to press "R" to access the Recovery Console.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:08 AM

When in a loop where I cannot enter BIOS or boot does not complete...I always try removing or replacing the CMOS battery (or shorting the CMOS motherboard jumper) to try to get to something (Safe Mode, BIOS, etc.) where I can actually begin try to overcome the problem.

If those fail, life gets tough in my world :thumbsup:.

Running chkdsk /r on it (boot drive/partition) from a second system certainly cannot hurt.

Louis

#4 mar5hy

mar5hy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 06:52 AM

An error after the splash screen usually indicates either a registry problem or a problem with a driver that doesn't load at startup. But it can also be a corruption with Windows itself. Can you get to the Safe Mode menu screen? If so, there should be an option to disable automatic reboot (which'll allow you to see the BSOD).

Otherwise you'll have to access the hard drive with another system in order to retrieve the BSOD data and perform an analysis on it.

What happens when you boot from the installation CD? At the first screen there's supposed to be an option to press "R" to access the Recovery Console.

Hi Usasma,

I choose to go into Safe mode, safe mode with command prompt etc - and it just restarts.

Yes with other machines, there is normally an option where you press R, and can either repair or get into the recovery console, I thought possibly that recovery console might not be on this windows disk? I haven't used it before. I normally use another which I have misplaced.
Cheers
Brighton, UK

#5 mar5hy

mar5hy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 06:56 AM

When in a loop where I cannot enter BIOS or boot does not complete...I always try removing or replacing the CMOS battery (or shorting the CMOS motherboard jumper) to try to get to something (Safe Mode, BIOS, etc.) where I can actually begin try to overcome the problem.

If those fail, life gets tough in my world :thumbsup:.

Running chkdsk /r on it (boot drive/partition) from a second system certainly cannot hurt.

Louis

Hi Hamluis,

I have reset the bios by removing the chip from the motherboard, no luck though. Just loops as normal.

I've booted up windows in another machine, with the bad hd as a slave, how do I go about running chkdsk on it?

Thanks
Brighton, UK

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:30 AM

You'll need a copy of the Windows XP installation CD to install the Recovery Console.
Also, you can download a version of it here: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
You'll need to burn it to a CD with an ISO burner. If you're not familiar with this operation, please post back for further instructions on this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 mar5hy

mar5hy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:22 AM

You'll need a copy of the Windows XP installation CD to install the Recovery Console.
Also, you can download a version of it here: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
You'll need to burn it to a CD with an ISO burner. If you're not familiar with this operation, please post back for further instructions on this.

I'll give this a go, cheers for the help.
Brighton, UK

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:49 AM

To run chkdsk on any drive other than the boot drive...you just insert the drive's designated letter between the chkdsk and the /r, looks like this if I want to run chkdsk /r on Partition G of my system: chkdsk G: /r

Alternatively, you can just run it from My Computer/Explorer. Right-click on drive you want checked, select Properties. Click Tools tab, push Check Now button. Put check marks in both options presented, push Start.

Louis

#9 mar5hy

mar5hy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:18 PM

Cheers! I used the recovery console link and that worked.

Thank you so much for all your help!
Brighton, UK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users