Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bvdman89

bvdman89

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:22 AM

From time to time I get a Blue Screen Crash when I'm doing media-intense projects.
Message states: INVALID_PAGE_CACHE_FROM_NONPAGED_AREA.
The message includes win32k.sys as the cause of the error.

More Info:

STOP: 0X00000050 (0X93BC6A0E, 0X00000000, 0XBF8813D4, 0X00000000)

win32k.sys - Address BF8813D4 base at BF800000, DateStamp 3F73195D

These have been suggested but neither have worked:
The behavior may occur if the win32k.sys is corrupted. Go to
C:\WINDOWS\System32 and rename the Win32k.sys file to Win32k.old and then
close the window. Now go back to the system32 folder and you will have a
new and non-corrupt Win32k.sys file.

The behavior also may be caused by that the virtual memory of the Windows XP
is corrupted. Disable and then enable the Virtual Memory to see whether it
solved the problem.

Any new suggestions?

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501.

Edited by bvdman89, 17 July 2008 - 10:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:59 AM

In most cases an error in a Windows system file (such as win32k.sys) is indicative of a problem elsewhere in the system. The reason for this is that, if Windows files are corrupted seriously enough to cause a BSOD - then you'll likely see other severe problems before this occurs. This isn't an "always" thing - but it's reliable enough that the first step is trying out other options to see what's causing the error.

FYI - this error is caused because something accessed memory at an address that doesn't exist in the memory. This access attempt caused win32k.sys to crash. It's sorta like running out of gas in your car - the motor stops (the crash in win32k.sys) - but the cause is that you ran out of gas.

In this case, it was an attempt to read something from memory (rather than writing to memory). That's less common than the write error and may be a significant clue - but I haven't seen many of the Read errors, so I'm a bit shakey on this.

The possibilities are (in the order of my experience):
1) corrupt program/driver
2) malware
3) bad RAM
4) corrupt pagefile
5) Windows corruption

If you're able to predict what'll cause the error (or if it occurs fairly frequently), I'd suggest running Driver Verifier to see if we can coax a bit more information out of the crash. Use this article to set it running: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

At first, only enable it for Unsigned drivers (you'll slow your system way down if you do all drivers). Also, when you're done using it, go back in and select the "delete existing settings" to turn it off - otherwise you'll still have a performance issue because of it's background process.

Then, reboot and wait for the next BSOD (if you can make it happen, go ahead and do it). If we're lucky, it'll Blue Screen as soon as you reboot - and that'll likely give us the name of the driver that's causing it. If it doesn't Blue Screen immediately, I've found that the results aren't as reliable - but they still do give us clues as to where to look.

If you get a Blue Screen and it doesn't give you the info, then use this link ( http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246 ) to perform an analysis of the memory dump file (usually located in C:\Windows\Minidump (a hidden folder)) Then post the results here for us to have a look at.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users