Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Logging In Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EllieG48

EllieG48

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:56 AM

When I start my laptop I am able to get the log in screen. Once my computer accepts my password it normally starts windows vista, but when I logged in today it gave me a blank screen and doesn't start vista. If I hit control+alt+delete it gets me to the menu similar to my log in screen with options such as "log out" "shut down computer" etc. If I chose shut down the computer begins to shut down but I noticed that instead of turning off, right before it shuts down it shows a black screen with a white " _ " in the very middle of it. I have never seen this before... any ideas or helpful suggestions???????
Thank you so much for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:15 AM

Can you get into the Safe Mode screen by pressing F8 just before the Windows splash screen shows up?
If so, first try the option to "Repair your computer" and see if that helps.
If it doesn't, then try to access Safe Mode from that same screen. Can you get into Safe Mode?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 EllieG48

EllieG48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:19 AM

I have not tried to get into safe mode by pressing f8. I will try that and see if that works. Thank you soooooooooo much!!!!!!!!

-Kelly

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:28 PM

You can also try restoring your computer to a previous point.

Good luck.

DR

#5 EllieG48

EllieG48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:09 PM

Ok so I tried to push F8 before Windows screen popped up and it didn't do anything. The only two keys that are options it looks like are esc and F10 for set up options. I hit F10 and didn't see anything about safe mode. There were boot options but no safe mode that I could find. And I'm not exactly sure how to restore my computer to a previous point.... I do not know an incredible amount about computers.

#6 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:57 PM

Sometimes getting into Safe Mode can be tricky and sometimes it is impossible. :huh:

One method that can be used would be to create an ungraceful shutdown.

Boot the computer up as far as it can go and make certain it has settled down (not loading anything else).
Then, unplug the AC plug. Leave it out for a good 10 seconds or so.
Plug the unit back in and power it up.
It will 'usually' go to the Safe Mode screen, telling you that Windows did not shut down properly. It will give you the option to enter Safe Mode in order to fix the problem that caused the shutdown.

This is not something you should do if you feel uncomfortable at all about working on your computer. I would also not advise you to try this more than once.

Good luck.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users