Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick Question About Using The S-video Output

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 skyla

skyla

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:35 AM

Hi, I usually connect the S-video output of my laptop (Windows 98 SE) to my TV A/V input to enjoy watching streaming movies on the TV. A friend told me that he did that for a while and it burns his computer. I was wondering if it is really a bad practice, since I thought the video card was on anyway if the laptop is on, and there is no difference if I connect or not connect it to a TV.

By the way, the computer screen has to be on all the time in order for the video to go through? That is the only thing bad I can think of. Please help me shed some light on this. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:31 AM

Hi skyla, welcome to BC.
Screen burn-in really shouldn't be an issue if you minimize (not close) any open windows and leave it at the desktop.
You could try invoking a screen saver afterwards but it may (or may not) interfere.
Either way I wouldn't worry too much about it.

#3 skyla

skyla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:25 PM

Thanks. So I can use the S-video out for whatever long I want without any problems? The internal hardware will still be OK?

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:41 AM

hi,,,, i have been using my laptop to streem or watch downloaded movies for 4 years,,, it runs win xp and it has had no problems,,, i think screen burn is a thing of the past as everyone uses screen savers,,,etc,,, and on a movie the picture on screen changes all the time so it cant burn an image on the screen.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users